Stopping tip die back after shearing

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
The shimpaku I got last month had been sheared at some point before I got them. Probably to shorten them for shipping.

Now some of those cut tips are browning and dieing. I read that shearing like that could cause the whole branch to die. Is there anything I can do to stop the die back?

I did go through them and carefully clip the cut ends when I first got them. I tried to cut between the scales so there wasn't so much damage.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just leave it alone. If the plant is healthy there will be backbudding along the trunk. You can then trim back as normal.

I do not believe for a second it is possible to cut between scales

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The shimpaku I got last month had been sheared at some point before I got them. Probably to shorten them for shipping.

Now some of those cut tips are browning and dieing. I read that shearing like that could cause the whole branch to die. Is there anything I can do to stop the die back?

I did go through them and carefully clip the cut ends when I first got them. I tried to cut between the scales so there wasn't so much damage.
When cut there are several factors that affect the amount of dieback!
One is the sharpness of the pruning shears or scissors used. IE: is it a clean cut or was the stem or branch crushed.
Two is the thickness of the branch or stem, sealing the end on larger cuts will help prevent the speed of dieback.
Three is the proximity to healthy foliage. Generally the stem or branch will die back to healthy foliage, either shoots or the next healthy foliage tips.
Because you mentioned scales, I assume you are speaking primarily of foliage tips, In that case just leave them be and wait for the brown tips to dry completely and then just brush them off. wether you pinch or cut the foliage some brown tips will occur naturally! Rough handling or dull edges will make for more brown tips!
Welcome to junipers!

Top Bottom