Squirrels...

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
5 gallon bucket of water deep enough so they can't get out. Cover the surface with acorns.
Hmmmm.....works well with Sunflower seeds floating on top of the water too. Takes care of Chipmunks and Squirrels...mostly chipmunks though.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Guy asked for known remedies , there not extinct , they do a great deal of damage in my yard , to my garden , and bonsai. I have 3 big pin oaks so there all over my yard. Can't have them destroying countless years of work and money. Again there not extinct , not Even close. If you kill em , eat em , there delicious
I'm up for eating them. I can't legally kill and eat them here as I live in urban residential area. Not sure if they'd taste good considering that they probably eat a lot of people's leftover junk.

On an interesting side note my friend ran over a rattlesnake on his driveway and proceeded to grill it for dinner. The following day he came with diarrhea.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
tumblr_mc7m47ViXK1rzgvtoo8_r1_250.gif

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I purchased small-mesh chicken wire and wrapped it over the lip of the pot. Problem solved. They were only digging in the Hinoki soil though, for some strange reason.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Does this do any good against birds?

Birds in general have not been a problem and sometimes just drink from the Willow or Bald Cypress water containers or the hanging water containers I leave out in the Summer. I also leave the Cherries on the landscape Yoshino for them keeping the few around here busy. I do put a sprinkle of the granular on the soil surface of the potted plants though but I can only say for certain it keeps the Voles, Moles, and Squirrels away applied lightly about every two weeks.

Grimmy

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I'm up for eating them. I can't legally kill and eat them here as I live in urban residential area. Not sure if they'd taste good considering that they probably eat a lot of people's leftover junk.

On an interesting side note my friend ran over a rattlesnake on his driveway and proceeded to grill it for dinner. The following day he came with diarrhea.
My grandma cooked squirrel all the time. Fried it, then put it in a pressure cooker, to tenderize. It's not bad, unless you bite down on a piece of buckshot...

Hbomb

Sapling
Reaction score
5 gallon bucket of water deep enough so they can't get out. Cover the surface with acorns.
This actually happened inadvertently in my backyard to a squirrel that fell into a trashcan after some heavy raining...
Guy asked for known remedies , there not extinct , they do a great deal of damage in my yard , to my garden , and bonsai. I have 3 big pin oaks so there all over my yard. Can't have them destroying countless years of work and money. Again there not extinct , not Even close. If you kill em , eat em , there delicious
I have no problem with popping a few meddling squirrels but will they just be replaced with new one's wondering in?(obviously eventually, but for the immediate future) Or do squirrels have somewhat of a territory?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
This actually happened inadvertently in my backyard to a squirrel that fell into a trashcan after some heavy raining...

I have no problem with popping a few meddling squirrels but will they just be replaced with new one's wondering in?(obviously eventually, but for the immediate future) Or do squirrels have somewhat of a territory?
Squirrels definitely have a territory and killing or relocating them is only a temporary solution...though I'm tempted to try the water bucket trick...freakin' chipmunks ate more of my tomatoes this year then I did.

Random User

Reaction score
Squirrels definitely have a territory and killing or relocating them is only a temporary solution...though I'm tempted to try the water bucket trick...freakin' chipmunks ate more of my tomatoes this year then I did.

I had a house in a large city that had a lot of squirrel problems, so I got a live trap and relocated them... I probably had to take 20 of them out of town before they stopped coming into the yard and trying to get into the house... they aren't a stupid creature, it just took them some time to figure out that my place was no place to hang out. But at the same time, the only real appeal that there was in that yard was a large Manitoba Maple-weed that they wanted the seeds off of... and to winter in the attic if they could find a way in.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Bird netting over the pot, cover the surface tuck excess under pot.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

They are territorial they nest in trees and don't venture too far from their nests, you can usually spot them , large accumulated mass of leaves up in trees , but it is illegal to shoot or tamper with their nests.
You can also just use a small game trap , catch them and release them somewhere else it's not that big of a deal to release a bunch of squirrels somewhere else throughout the year .

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
My parents had squirrel rampage going on their yard for years! They had MASSIVE ones that could get into any bird feeder no matter what you did to keep them out... we called them "War Squirrels"... a retired policeman moved in across the street from them who had an accute dislike of squirrels, a lot of time on his hands and a desire to keep his marksmanship up with his .22- he probably shot about a dozen a week or more... would just leave the carcasses lying til a hawk or some other predator got it... we hardly ever see any squirrels close to their property now. Wish that guy lived close to me!!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My parents had squirrel rampage going on their yard for years! They had MASSIVE ones that could get into any bird feeder no matter what you did to keep them out... we called them "War Squirrels"... a retired policeman moved in across the street from them who had an accute dislike of squirrels, a lot of time on his hands and a desire to keep his marksmanship up with his .22- he probably shot about a dozen a week or more... would just leave the carcasses lying til a hawk or some other predator got it... we hardly ever see any squirrels close to their property now. Wish that guy lived close to me!!
That's exactly how I take care of them.
And Rupert has developed a taste for squirrel. He watches me shoot them then runs over and finishes them off.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That's exactly how I take care of them.
And Rupert has developed a taste for squirrel. He watches me shoot them then runs over and finishes them off.
I'm not always home and usually when I'm gone is when they do the damage , so the bucket trick is the ticket for me. Don't have to feed or take care of it. When I'm home I've taught my great Danes to chase them so there never around anymore when I'm home

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I always go out and yell and bang the ground with a stick trying to scare them. Doesn't work but I like to cuss at them.

A lady on a BBC gardening podcast recommended hanging old cd's (from a string). Supposedly the spinning and light reflection is supposed to scare them away. I'm gonna try it.

She said that critters like a predictable environment and will shy away from surprises.

Who knows?

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Had a friend at our recent bonsai meeting tell everyone that rotten eggs on the pot rim and some on the soil would definitely do the trick. Just break open the egg let it set out till "ripe" and then sprinkle on the edges of the pot. He learned this from reading the ingredients on a box of garden pest repellent.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
1000, exactly 1000 smallest sewing needles you can find. Or better yet, hypodermic needles. And place them all over top of soil. Use a good size magnetand gloves to pick them up when needed.

Them meddling squirrels dug deep into my ailing Hinoki and now it's all but dead :(
Dang,..... diabolical

Top Bottom