Spider Mites and conflicting info have me dizzy

Malathion is pretty harsh and when I used it on my red spider mites they didn't care.

Neem oil works very well though and is gentle on any bugs you might not wanna to zap.

Even with regular spraying though spider mites will always come back once you have them.

@Leo in N E Illinois Thank you for that wealth of info! seriously. Especially now knowing that not only does it have to be a different chemical but a different effector for the rotational applications.

I haven't planned for that and did not spray tonight. Need more time to research, gave them all a bath with insecticidal soap again tonight and going to take it from here.

The plants do look good though although there is clearly pests. So I have a little time I think.

Avid and floromite if you want to get serious about killing mites with the least harm to beneficials

Malathion is pretty harsh and when I used it on my red spider mites they didn't care.

Neem oil works very well though and is gentle on any bugs you might not wanna to zap.

Even with regular spraying though spider mites will always come back once you have them.

Damn! so you were never able to get rid of yours?

nope they live in the yard.

I've even given up on spraying for them too. I'd recommend spraying to get rid of the infestation and then once they are gone check back often.

Mine were very bad but once I got it under control I stopped spraying so often and made sure my pots were clean of dead leaves, weeds and debris (where they lay their eggs) and spray down your foliage with water often cause they really dislike water.

Other then simply checking often and preventing large infestations I would say keep infected plants quarantined because they will spread.

DO NOT WAIT though if you have a large infestation. Spray now! If you let them make it to summer you may have to just wait for the cold to kill them.

Also last thing I forgot to mention is that if you do go with Neem oil it's best to spray in the morning or at night because hot evening sun could cause it to burn your foliage.

I'm solid on....

An everyday application of safe methods is way better than chems....

And without creating a supermite that lives thru nuclear warfare.

Everyday.....twice a day....
Water blasts....dish soap bubbles for a while...
Water blast..

Sorce

nope they live in the yard.

I've even given up on spraying for them too. I'd recommend spraying to get rid of the infestation and then once they are gone check back often.

Mine were very bad but once I got it under control I stopped spraying so often and made sure my pots were clean of dead leaves, weeds and debris (where they lay their eggs) and spray down your foliage with water often cause they really dislike water.

Other then simply checking often and preventing large infestations I would say keep infected plants quarantined because they will spread.

DO NOT WAIT though if you have a large infestation. Spray now! If you let them make it to summer you may have to just wait for the cold to kill them.

Also last thing I forgot to mention is that if you do go with Neem oil it's best to spray in the morning or at night because hot evening sun could cause it to burn your foliage.
I'm solid on....

An everyday application of safe methods is way better than chems....

And without creating a supermite that lives thru nuclear warfare.

Everyday.....twice a day....
Water blasts....dish soap bubbles for a while...
Water blast..

Sorce

You're both right and I feel the same way. Really not liking the chem idea the more I think about it. Just gonna put in the hard work and keep an eye on them all the time.

Ceijay, I think that is my issue too they are all over the backyard and the palm tree and neighbors tree. So i'm gonna stick to soap and neem and create a "bubble" around all my plants.

Thanks for all the input to all in my mental battle here haha

You're both right and I feel the same way. Really not liking the chem idea the more I think about it. Just gonna put in the hard work and keep an eye on them all the time.

Ceijay, I think that is my issue too they are all over the backyard and the palm tree and neighbors tree. So i'm gonna stick to soap and neem and create a "bubble" around all my plants.

Thanks for all the input to all in my mental battle here haha

Consider a really low % shade cloth...
On the windy side at least....

It could catch the floaters before they reach your trees....and if you make it tall enough...they may climb up before catching a breeze again and go over your trees!

If you ain't heard....

I left a sargenti juniper in water overnight last year after a real bad infestation....
And I think it came thru ok.

If my water pressure didn't suck, I would blast mine as if they had mites everyday.

Sorce

If it makes you feel better having a spider mite or two won't hurt any of your plants and they are just as normal a bug as a spider or a ant. Just let them be and use the prevention methods you mentioned to make your plants a less appealing environment to settle in.

@sorce shade cloth! good f'n idea!

@Ceijay this view does help for sure!

I've been misting them about 4-5 times today and they are not there which is good, just hope I'm not over misting haha

Back
Top Bottom