Spider Mites 😭 (Ficis religiosa)

outdoormarky

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm brand new to bonsai and plants in general. Only one month! I've read a bunch, but I kind of put my head in the sand about bugs. Dumb. I noticed yellowing on my very young Ficus religiosa. I thought I had over watered. Well, I finally inspected more closely and found that it's spider mites. I wiped down the leaves and gave a healthy spray down with neem oil (along with my 2 microcarpa and portulacaria). From what I've read, I should keep spaying every 3 days for a while. How long should I keep that up? Does neem oil actually kill them? And should I trim off any yellowed leaves? Other suggestions? It's still very young. The stem is just starting to get woody. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 😊

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm brand new to bonsai and plants in general. Only one month! I've read a bunch, but I kind of put my head in the sand about bugs. Dumb. I noticed yellowing on my very young Ficus religiosa. I thought I had over watered. Well, I finally inspected more closely and found that it's spider mites. I wiped down the leaves and gave a healthy spray down with neem oil (along with my 2 microcarpa and portulacaria). From what I've read, I should keep spaying every 3 days for a while. How long should I keep that up? Does neem oil actually kill them? And should I trim off any yellowed leaves? Other suggestions? It's still very young. The stem is just starting to get woody. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 😊
Welcome aboard! Spider mites are pretty common on indoor house plants and it sounds like you're doing things right. I use insecticidal soap on mine, as it works for me, I haven't tried neem on anything except aphids. A picture of the plant and yellow/infected leaves would help determine if I'd remove them, but I would if they come off easily when I simulate a small wind with a fan or blowing on them . Spraying every three days is good because you're trying to eliminate the mites eggs/offspring from reinfecting the plant. I'll also mist the plant daily because they hate water. ;) I'd keep applying treatment for 3 weeks or until I see the result of the plant recovering. Spray everything when you spray including the soil and pot. Good Luck.

outdoormarky

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I attached pics to the original post. Hopefully, this works.

Attachments

• 20240213_201251.jpg
    20240213_201251.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240213_201323.jpg
    20240213_201323.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240213_201333.jpg
    20240213_201333.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 10

outdoormarky

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome aboard! Spider mites are pretty common on indoor house plants and it sounds like you're doing things right. I use insecticidal soap on mine, as it works for me, I haven't tried neem on anything except aphids. A picture of the plant and yellow/infected leaves would help determine if I'd remove them, but I would if they come off easily when I simulate a small wind with a fan or blowing on them . Spraying every three days is good because you're trying to eliminate the mites eggs/offspring from reinfecting the plant. I'll also mist the plant daily because they hate water. ;) I'd keep applying treatment for 3 weeks or until I see the result of the plant recovering. Spray everything when you spray including the soil and pot. Good Luck.
Thank you!!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I attached pics to the original post. Hopefully, this works.
I'd wouldn't mess with those leaves now, I'd spray underneath them as the mites hang out underneath. If the leaves end up dying, so be it, but the plant will survive since you've identified the problem, and you're treating it. Leaves come and go, new ones will be along shortly. :) Stay on top of it and you'll be good.

I forgot to add that most pests like the new growth/young leaves, taste better is my guess. I'd also isolate the infected tree as far away as possible, and keep an eye on the ones it used to be next too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom