Just discovered spider mites on developing J. procumbens 'Nana'. On a serious budget, how can I control this problem?

raenstorming

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I sprayed all the foliage hard with a hose and I think it looks better now. I wrapped the pot in Glad Press n Seal so the mites wouldn’t get washed down into the soil, and I did the spraying in the back yard (tree lives in front yard). I bet I’ve had this problem for a while without realizing it (I’ve had the tree two years and have been dealing with browning tips). Can I spray it down like this every few days and eventually eliminate the mites after all the eggs and other stages have run their course? If not, what are the cheapest chemicals I can buy? My budget is like…under $30 right now.
Additionally, spring is sprouting here in zone 9a. Should fertilization wait until after any spider mite stressors have passed?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Neem oil and hosing down was sufficient for me, a single bottle lasts me about 3 years and costs me 8 euros.
But in my region it's an indoor pest mostly. Haven't seen it outdoors.

Fertilization can continue as normal, since it doesn't affect the mites. Well, it does, in the sense that a healthy plant has fewer issues with bugs. But that's a different story all together.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I just spray them off with a hose if I notice any. This has always worked well for me. I’ve never used chemicals for spider mites.

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The only thing I’ve found that works for me is this stuff:

IMG_8253.jpeg

I get a quart sized pump sprayer, fill it with water, add two capfuls (the little cap, not the measuring cup on top,) and then add a little bit of pure neem oil. Shake it all up, spray at night so the neem oil doesnt burn the leaves in the sun.

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I've read that the mites like dry conditions so as a helpful preventative measure you could mist the foliage every day. I know my junipers here seem to love it.

Top Bottom