Are these spider mites on Ryan Neil's tree?!?

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

Look at the webbing on this time stamp. Are those mites! I've become mite paranoid and I got a good laugh out of this video when I saw the webbing!

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Ryan Neil has OCD tendencies. I really really doubt that there are spider mites on his trees 🤣
in full def, there is DEFINITELY webbing on those tufts of foliage tho, i got triggered when I saw it because of my mite battles as of late 🤣

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Click-bate title.
Who cares whether there is spider mites on some trees in that garden. There probably are spider mites on his trees. I would venture a guess that in all but the most toxic bonsai gardens you will find spider mites.

Considering you see spider webbing on the trees, you can conclude there is not a very strong arachnid poison used and therefor there probably are spider-mites. It does not matter. There are all sorts of animals living on and around your trees.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

Look at the webbing on this time stamp. Are those mites! I've become mite paranoid and I got a good laugh out of this video when I saw the webbing!
These are spider webs.
Spider mite webs don't shine/reflect in the sun, they have a matte color and form "panty hose" webbing along the foliage, not long straight shiny lines.

If you ever had serious spider mites and let them run free, eventually the entire plant becomes covered in a silk tent. It's a very typical thing that spider mite webs never reach far away from either foliage or trunks/branches.

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Click-bate title.
Who cares whether there is spider mites on some trees in that garden. There probably are spider mites on his trees. I would venture a guess that in all but the most toxic bonsai gardens you will find spider mites.

Considering you see spider webbing on the trees, you can conclude there is not a very strong arachnid poison used and therefor there probably are spider-mites. It does not matter. There are all sorts of animals living on and around your trees.
Ive worked in garden centers for many years and can verify that practically everything we receive has a population of host pests already on it... they remain 'dormant' amd thus unnoticeable until the cultural conditions are right for them to become a problem. And that's "normal", after all it is called pest management or control not pest eradication. The good bugs need to eat too.

I have also heard him speak on not wanting to become reliant in chemicals. So I would not believe he douses his trees in insecticide either. In fact he speaks on proper nutrition as a form of pest management pretty frequently! Part of that I'm sure is accepting an occasional infestation and dealing with that as it comes up.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I saw a few strands, but nothing I'd call "webbing". I'm no apologist for Ryan Neil and suspect there are a couple spider mites @ Mirai, but I think your spider mite woes have you seeing things that might not be.

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Click-bate title.

I intended to initiate a conversation on the appearance of webbing and learned something, it was meant to be comedic and educational.

It's a phenomenal looking tree that is very healthy, so it doesnt matter if there's a handful of mites on it, and I'm not trying to throw shade on Ryan, he's one of my heroes.

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Ive worked in garden centers for many years and can verify that practically everything we receive has a population of host pests already on it... they remain 'dormant' amd thus unnoticeable until the cultural conditions are right for them to become a problem. And that's "normal", after all it is called pest management or control not pest eradication. The good bugs need to eat too.

I have also heard him speak on not wanting to become reliant in chemicals. So I would not believe he douses his trees in insecticide either. In fact he speaks on proper nutrition as a form of pest management pretty frequently! Part of that I'm sure is accepting an occasional infestation and dealing with that as it comes up.
something I'm trying to learn is how to differentiate between the appearance of plant-feeding mites, and predator mites and other positive insects so I don't just jet all of them off with my hose in paranoia

Reactions: AJL

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm trying to learn is how to differentiate between the appearance of plant-feeding mites,
Keep a plant in a window sill, a tomato or a pepper plant will do just fine. Keep it there the entire summer. I can guarantee you that it's going to get spider mites. It's a cheap lesson and you can trash it whenever you're done learning :)

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
something I'm trying to learn is how to differentiate between the appearance of plant-feeding mites, and predator mites and other positive insects so I don't just jet all of them off with my hose in paranoia
First, an almost pixelated yellowing of the leaves. Like a yellow airbrush went over the leaves. Then you might notice very small, white mites slowly crawling around under the leaf. The characteristic webbing is in later stages but usually runs on the underside of the leaf, and in the veins. If theres a curled leaf, theres usually a webbing bridging the gap.

Top Bottom