So anyone concerned with the lack of winter this year?

I had my garage trees outside all week, temps in the 50's and 60's. Back in tonight, lows in the 20's.

My everything is convinced it's spring, except the weather station.

PXL_20230223_153549573.jpg

I had my garage trees outside all week, temps in the 50's and 60's. Back in tonight, lows in the 20's.
That’s exactly what I’ve been doing. Shuffling the garage trees in and out. I have most of my trees staying outside full time but the smaller ones are garage trees.

In Eastern CT/Rhode Island, we’ve had days in the 50’s and 60’s but nights still in the 30’s. However this weekend we’ll be getting low teens again. So into the garage with the trees!

So far nothing seems awake yet…

Set a personal record when it got up to 80 two days ago: a mosquito bite on Feb. 23!

Impressive that they can wake up that fast.

When watering the garage trees tonight I noticed the beautyberry cuttings are starting to show buds and the Satsuki's are sporting some new green leaves. The Nippon's have awake for awhile. Now we're expecting lows in the teens this weekend. What's most concerning is that my Nuccio's azaleas shipped yesterday... When I spoke to them last week, there was no threat of freezing temps. Damn weather forecasters...

Curious what temperature folks move things inside at? For instance the forecast has a low of 35 tonight. I could move nothing, just the trees that I have repotted, or all my trees.

When I’m doing the shuffle I move things at or slightly above 32°F… just to avoid the freeze. I’ve yet to notice any detrimental effects from cold that’s not freezing.

To be clear, this means pretty much every night right now
F7B0DFDE-B69B-444C-89F4-EAD028AD5BB6.png

Curious what temperature folks move things inside at? For instance the forecast has a low of 35 tonight. I could move nothing, just the trees that I have repotted, or all my trees.
Certainly the repotted, I wouldn't bother with much else unless it's significant to your collection

35 F is my definite "cut off" temp to move things that have pushed new leaves or been repotted inside. 35 is close enough to the 32 freezing to be very cautious with frost and freezes. I've found my area is always three degree or so colder than the official forecast for my area, so 35 means 32. Duration of freezing temps is also important. Typically the coldest temps of the night come at daybreak (when it's been cold for the longest).

Also, 35 can produce frost on trees left out in the open, even though its not the freezing mark. Still wind, clear skies and dry air and frost forms quickly on surfaces directly exposed to the open sky. If you don't want to move things inside, move them under some kind of roof overhang or deck to prevent frost from forming.

That’s exactly what I’ve been doing. Shuffling the garage trees in and out. I have most of my trees staying outside full time but the smaller ones are garage trees.

In Eastern CT/Rhode Island, we’ve had days in the 50’s and 60’s but nights still in the 30’s. However this weekend we’ll be getting low teens again. So into the garage with the trees!

So far nothing seems awake yet…
If nothing is awake (hasn't pushed open new leaf buds) you don't have to move it...In fact, might be better if left outside (under overwintering shelter)

It looks like the last real freeze here will be Sunday into Monday, with lows in the 40’s thereafter into April. Possibly a frost or two in April, but nothing concerning.

My trees have been stirring this week, with buds opening on my biggest Japanese maple seedling. I might bring it inside Sunday night. Otherwise, I’m unconcerned. My deciduous trees are waking two weeks earlier than last year and a week earlier than in 2021. I consider that an acceptable level of year-to-year variation. Overall, it’s consistently in mid to late March.

Up by lake Erie today. Snow and flowers 😅

Attachments

• IMG_20230316_115103941_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230316_115103941_HDR.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230316_115234766_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230316_115234766_HDR.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 10
No. Im never concerned by the weather:)
It is what it is.
I like your attitude sire 😁 in Colorado we can never predict the winter weather. Yesterday it was 68 and it dropped to 28 overnight. I saw worse... in January! I'm bummed for everyone whose upset about the chaotic weather, but I'm quite used to the chaos by now...

If nothing is awake (hasn't pushed open new leaf buds) you don't have to move it...In fact, might be better if left outside (under overwintering shelter)
Thanks, Rock. To clarify: I only have four trees inside the unheated garage— two that were “sick” and weak from last year and two that got repotted about a week ago. I’ve been keeping them outside on the ground as much as possible but move them back into the garage at 29F or colder.

I’m anxious to have them back outside full time like you’re saying… maybe I’ve been overly cautious?

Thanks, Rock. To clarify: I only have four trees inside the unheated garage— two that were “sick” and weak from last year and two that got repotted about a week ago. I’ve been keeping them outside on the ground as much as possible but move them back into the garage at 29F or colder.

I’m anxious to have them back outside full time like you’re saying… maybe I’ve been overly cautious?
Repotted should be inside when frost or freezes are around. Not being overcautious at all

Back
Top Bottom