Show us your rocks!

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't see a thread any were for people to post pictures of rocks they have found or bought to go with a planting in any way.

Can't wait to see some of your collections.

Here is a nice one I found the other day. I found a nice spot were a local college dumps there rocks after there classes are done..

Attachments

• 20160505_052643.jpg
    20160505_052643.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 72

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
ok, you brought this on yourself :)

So I have this one, a quartz geode but upside down (i.e. the nice part is outside and the crappy one inside).
DSC04105.JPG
I broke it so I have several pieces, this being the biggest one.

Then I have this slab which I though was carbonate but in fact have been recrystallized and it's mainly silica now (so technically it's a marble)
DSC04113.JPG
This will be for a forest and, as I started to work on it, I have a bunch of little slabs that I might certainly assemble in a cliff.

Then I have this fuck up carbonate (for a ROR as soon as I have a ROR tree to put on)
DSC04106.JPG

Speaking of fuck-up I have this one too, not a carbonate, pure silica, I still don't know what I'll do with it, some sort of peinjing most certainly...
DSC04107.JPG

this piece of coral reef I brought back from our last trip to Miami
DSC04112.JPG

this granite I split in 2 and will become 2 pots...
DSC04110.JPG

to be continued... :)

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Then I have all these pieces of what I though was a sandstone but which isn't really (I analyzed it's chemical composition and it's much richer in Ca than Si), I already used one piece of it to make a pot and those are the next ones
DSC04114.JPG

Finally I have all these slabs/funny rocks for other forests, pots, ROR...
DSC04115.JPG

Except the piece of reef from FL and the 2 that are full of holes that I found in an abandoned yard down the street all of them where in our yard.
:)

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Rocks just kept in the backyard....someday...one day....I will find a purpose for them.
The small rock is new, it has not grown much yet. It just fell out of my head while taking these photos. I'll put it back in the ground....ground-growing a few seasons should help.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Rocks just kept in the backyard....someday...one day....I will find a purpose for them.
The small rock is new, it has not grown much yet. It just fell out of my head while taking these photos. I'll put it back in the ground....ground-growing a few seasons should help.
View attachment 104191View attachment 104192View attachment 104194View attachment 104195View attachment 104196

I like the 1st one a lot and also the volcanic rock.
There are actually 2 big pieces of volcanic like that at the corner of Dempster and Waukegan, 2 minutes from our place. We pass in front every evening on our way back from the job. As I never go to bed before at least 1 am one night I plan to make a punitive expedition there and bring them home.
:)

Note: the place where they are is an abandoned Produce World grocery, so no really burglary there ;)

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cool. You have an organized rock place....and a lot of interesting projects possible. Sometimes just collecting the rocks is fun stuff. They are all interesting and have been through a lot over time. Interesting how each rock is important in some thought process and how a possible project picture vaguely unfolds as you examine a rock.....

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jesus Christ @wireme !

At the first pic I thought.....

It looks like you've killed more pets than trees....

And by the end I am like....

Holy Fucking shit!

Those are some of the dopest rocks ever!

Score.....E....A!

Damn!

Sorce

P.S. The one looks like a KKK hood.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Borg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/8
This is the rock I found today while in the woods at work. I have an idea that might look pretty sweet using a cutting from my Ficus benjamina.... Or perhaps the air layer that I will be doing... The choices.....DSC_0005.JPG DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0006.JPG DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0004.JPG

Top Bottom