Senbazuru Satsuki

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A good bloom this year, and thought I'd share. The tree came from Bill Valavanis, I was lucky enough to acquire it at the shohin show in Kannapolis a couple years ago. It responded very well to the cutbacks and styling. Now that the general shape has been made I hope to bring it back to more fullness over the next few years.
IMG_1682.jpgIMG_3615.jpgIMG_3616.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It’s coming along nicely, Judy!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Adair, for the compliment and also for stepping aside so I could own this beautiful tree.
I’m glad you have it. I think you appreciate it more than I would.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am seeing some design in it where it cascades up to the right, like a waterfall of flowers, like a cascade-style, but going up.
And where the left branch would become smaller. And the base of the cascade gets some more weight to it, ie branches just after the Y split on the right side.

I just got myself one as well. I find it funny how the pistil and the stamen stick out of the unopened flowers. Like it is sticking out it's tongue, or something. I wonder how it looks in between the completely enclosed flower buds and this unopened state.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am seeing some design in it where it cascades up to the right, like a waterfall of flowers, like a cascade-style, but going up.
And where the left branch would become smaller. And the base of the cascade gets some more weight to it, ie branches just after the Y split on the right side.

I just got myself one as well. I find it funny how the pistil and the stamen stick out of the unopened flowers. Like it is sticking out it's tongue, or something. I wonder how it looks in between the completely enclosed flower buds and this unopened state.
Yes there is a "curve" in this right hand branch that is inescapable, I'd have to cut off a good 1/3rd of the tree to correct the tree. I've come to terms with it, as it isn't terrible in person. You can see a few buds that don't have the "tongue" out yet if you look.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
How is this one doing? Mine is blooming now, and developing slowly but well.
It‘s branches were severely pruned back courtesy of a mad deer that got into my storage area and damaged a lot of trees. It’s not in danger of dying but waiting to see which branches will send out foliage now.

Yours is looking good!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It‘s branches were severely pruned back courtesy of a mad deer that got into my storage area and damaged a lot of trees. It’s not in danger of dying but waiting to see which branches will send out foliage now.

Yours is looking good!
Sorry to hear that, but glad its still alive after that, must have been a mess! 😖

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
OMG, sounds like the perpetrator was also a victim in the end...
Maybe you now have an Akasenbazuru?

Top Bottom