jakup665

Seed
Reaction score
Hi All,

I live in Phoenix AZ, and recently received a Satsuki Azalea. The leaves are turning black/brittle at the ends and I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations.

For the past three months, I would keep outside on my patio during the AM and into the late afternoon, I only have a westward facing balcony, so the only direct sunlight that was received was in the PM. Living in AZ, I thought that would be fine because it has only been in the 60s. And planned on moving inside full time when it gets a bit warmer. However, when I started to notice the black/brown leaves I was researching and most sources said to keep out of direct sunlight. I have begun to keep it outside only in the AM to get indirect sunlight, and move inside when the sun begins to hit my west balcony, to be housed near a window close to the sunlight.

For the past three months, I also watered every day because of how dry it is here. Since it is no longer receiving direct sunlight the soil is keeping moist much longer than a day or so, therefore I have cut back on watering it. I mist the leaves in between watering, about twice a day, and plan on switching water schedules to every 3 days. (Picture is 2 days since last watering)

The instructions that came with the bonsai said to fertilize almost every month, so I did fertilize at the beginning of this month. I did not notice any black or brown growth until last week.

Let me know what you guys think! I have been picking off most of the black growth to make way for new growth, and there are new buds sprouting so I don't think anything is SUPER wrong with it, I think it may have to do with watering schedules?

EDIT: I uploaded the pics using the attachments button, but do not see any attachments on my post. Let me know if you guys don't see them.

Last edited:

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome Aboard Bonsai Nut! Phoenix is nice this time of the year.

Actually there were no photos. It would be helpful to see the azalea and know a bit more. Like it the azalea in peat?

Black tips can mean at least four things.

Too much water, too much fertilizer, too cold…and oh yes, too little water.

My bet is the first and the second in any order.

Only water when the media feels dryish. Too much water, which is easy to do in peat, often causes root rot.

Also stop fertilization. Azaleas do not need a lot of fertilizer when in peat as it can damage the plant roots if too frequent or at normal strength. If it is in kanuma cut the fertilizer down to every six weeks 1/4 strength.

cheers
DSD sends

jakup665

Seed
Reaction score
Hi All,

I live in Phoenix AZ, and recently received a Satsuki Azalea. The leaves are turning black/brittle at the ends and I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations.

For the past three months, I would keep outside on my patio during the AM and into the late afternoon, I only have a westward facing balcony, so the only direct sunlight that was received was in the PM. Living in AZ, I thought that would be fine because it has only been in the 60s. And planned on moving inside full time when it gets a bit warmer. However, when I started to notice the black/brown leaves I was researching and most sources said to keep out of direct sunlight. I have begun to keep it outside only in the AM to get indirect sunlight, and move inside when the sun begins to hit my west balcony, to be housed near a window close to the sunlight.

For the past three months, I also watered every day because of how dry it is here. Since it is no longer receiving direct sunlight the soil is keeping moist much longer than a day or so, therefore I have cut back on watering it. I mist the leaves in between watering, about twice a day, and plan on switching water schedules to every 3 days. (Picture is 2 days since last watering)

The instructions that came with the bonsai said to fertilize almost every month, so I did fertilize at the beginning of this month. I did not notice any black or brown growth until last week.

Let me know what you guys think! I have been picking off most of the black growth to make way for new growth, and there are new buds sprouting so I don't think anything is SUPER wrong with it, I think it may have to do with watering schedules?

Welcome Aboard Bonsai Nut! Phoenix is nice this time of the year.

Actually there were no photos. It would be helpful to see the azalea and know a bit more. Like it the azalea in peat?

Black tips can mean at least four things.

Too much water, too much fertilizer, too cold…and oh yes, too little water.

My bet is the first and the second in any order.

Only water when the media feels dryish. Too much water, which is easy to do in peat, often causes root rot.

Also stop fertilization. Azaleas do not need a lot of fertilizer when in peat as it can damage the plant roots if too frequent or at normal strength. If it is in kanuma cut the fertilizer down to every six weeks 1/4 strength.

cheers
DSD sends
hi!

thanks for your reply! i attached some photos here. Do you think if i just keep the new watering schedule, waiting for the dry-ish soil, and the non-direct sunlight it should help? I won't fertilize again for a bit. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the photos the azalea looks pretty stressed. Bright shade or just early morning sun would be best. Perhaps if you can manage it around 8-9. Once it gets above 90F keeping it will be more of a challenge. Likely need to be inside in a window sill in bright shade, or outside with misting and doubled shade cloth.

Actually one idea is to get a hold of the Phoenix Bonsai Society and ask them for advice on the summer part. Keeping azaleas in Phoenix is a specialized practice. Here’s a link to their questions form.

Good Luck. Please let us know how things go.

cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom