Sean’s Umes

Repot time for my big Ume. I’ll post a photo of it in the pot tomorrow.
It was a squeeze to get it in the pot. The inside of the pot is 27cm (~10”)
I’ll start some carving this season. I’m nervous as I’ve never done any carved and I don’t want to mess it up!

IMG_0732.jpeg
IMG_0734.jpeg
IMG_0736.jpeg
IMG_0737.jpeg

@Dav4 you've given me some carving pointers previously but I’m still very nervous to start 🫣
Do I need to worry about carving across the trunk (across “live veins”) with Ume? Could I create a hollow like this in one go or do I need to start small in the centre and then gradually extend the hollow outwards (vertically, up and down)?

I’d like to eventually create a big deep hollow in the front of the trunk that wraps around the back of the trunk at the top and down onto the large root base on the front left

30d39d46-4446-4a9b-9517-f0accf994f08.jpeg

@Dav4 you've given me some carving pointers previously but I’m still very nervous to start 🫣
Do I need to worry about carving across the trunk (across “live veins”) with Ume? Could I create a hollow like this in one go or do I need to start small in the centre and then gradually extend the hollow outwards (vertically, up and down)?

I’d like to eventually create a big deep hollow in the front of the trunk that wraps around the back of the trunk at the top and down onto the large root base on the front left

View attachment 561262
Yes, I'd say you do need to make sure that there's always a reasonably direct connection between roots and branches in the canopy. I always started my carving in one spot, carving mostly with the grain, and expanded slowly over time to allow the tree to grow around the carving. What you suggest is doable but I'd suggest doing it over several sessions, allowing for recovery between each session just to be safe. I'd be careful to move slowly toward the top of your proposed carving top, as it seems to sit just beneath a few branches.

Yes, I'd say you do need to make sure that there's always a reasonably direct connection between roots and branches in the canopy. I always started my carving in one spot, carving mostly with the grain, and expanded slowly over time to allow the tree to grow around the carving. What you suggest is doable but I'd suggest doing it over several sessions, allowing for recovery between each session just to be safe. I'd be careful to move slowly toward the top of your proposed carving top, as it seems to sit just beneath a few branches.
Thank you! As always I appreciate your feedback.
I’ll start slow with just a hole and see where it goes from there over a few seasons. There’s also already a bit of deadwood on the back of the tree from the original trunk chop so I’ll work with that area and see how the deadwood develops from there.

Another one potted and given an initial styling. There are 3 buds near the top which I hope will grow to form the top of the tree

View attachment 503658
Just realised this little guys hasn’t received any attention in this thread since last spring 😱

Slight angle change this past weekend, basically a slip pot with a little root tickling. Into the same pot. Buds are about to open. Leader needs to thicken before it gets cut back.

IMG_0873.jpeg
IMG_0874.jpeg

Umes are growing like crazy! Already started partially defoliating and cutting back some of them.

It’s only been 6.5 weeks since I repotted this one and I already had 10-15 leaf long extensions. Forgot to take a before photo, but imagine it with long shoots sticking out all over.
There were already quite a lot of yellowed interior leaves due to how dense the canopy is becoming.

IMG_1209.jpegIMG_1211.jpeg

Thoughts?

Love the ume's by the way.
Yamadori for all species are found trees and they do have a natural character unsurpassed by plants we grow ourselves.
Prunus Mume are difficult and unreliable, many species are easier to work with.
Older plants and Yamadori of most species require grafting if taken to the highest levels.
We will never find older plants that have been cultivated for a very long time in North America if we do not grow them here!
They would not be "found" in Japan if growers had not faced the difficulties in growing, maintaining and developing the species. Not sure if there is anything new or startling about this information. This can be said for mature landscape material world wide and mature container grown material world wide.
Appreciating high level trees and striving to attain that involves an understanding of the above, not an approach that we should not do it, or strive to match the success that others have achieved.
The number of wild collected Yamadori or found trees is shrinking in Japan and most countries for a number of factors. I would argue that it is even more important to tackle the difficult species if we wish to continue working with them in Bonsai.
Seems like a mixed message to me. On the one hand the claim is the goal is to take Bonsai to the highest level, on the other hand the message seems to be if it is difficult leave it to those who have already mastered it.
I hope not all teachers discourage reaching for difficult achievments.

Back
Top Bottom