Satsuki Hatsu Kansetsu Neagari

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
This one usually flowers sporadically, well, they all do here at high altitudes in the islands. Otherwise,P1030186.JPG they stay really healthy. This is the most flowers at one time since I've had it. Also, they're lasting longer than ever before. Last year I over-potted it, I guess it liked it. But that straight branch, aaaie, it stands out like a sore thumb. Photos are so cruel!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow, love those flowers very much. Can you take a photo of a bloom up close? I like the tree, I agree that photos are cruel. A good way to put it. Only one branch bothers me, and maybe it's thin enough to bend?

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Wow, love those flowers very much. Can you take a photo of a bloom up close? I like the tree, I agree that photos are cruel. A good way to put it. Only one branch bothers me, and maybe it's thin enough to bend?
Here ya go. About an inch across. Small. and for the 1st time, they're hanging on. Previously, they would only last 2 days. P1030188.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very nice tree. Why not just cut that long branch after flowering, and let a small shoot replace it? Then you can wire it with a nicer shape. Or just remove that branch with two branchlets that's descending (not just the long branch but both branches) - try covering with a cloth to see how it looks. Azalea are nice because if you leave a stub they usually will produce new shoots from it.

This is part of why I take photos, I find things to correct that somehow aren't obvious in real life.
The flowers are outstanding!

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Very nice tree. Why not just cut that long branch after flowering, and let a small shoot replace it? Then you can wire it with a nicer shape. Or just remove that branch with two branchlets that's descending (not just the long branch but both branches) - try covering with a cloth to see how it looks. Azalea are nice because if you leave a stub they usually will produce new shoots from it.

This is part of why I take photos, I find things to correct that somehow aren't obvious in real life.
The flowers are outstanding!
Yes, cutting back to a stub is the best way. Actually, the whole thing needs a serious cut-back. (I won't embarrass it with an overhead shot.) I've not been motivated up to now since the previous flowers only lasted one or two days and never this many. It's in pumice but now has earned a repot to kanuma. I live in azalea and camellia heaven. Never hot and never seriously cold. Just cool and misty. I've gotten away with cutting back and repotting at any time of year.

Top Bottom