rose from the dead

tlynchjr

Seedling
Reaction score
I tossed this dead 20150616_115832.jpg maple 3 years ago behind the shed and found this surprise. There is new growth from shoots at the base of the dead tree. Any suggestions?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks like the main trunk is pushing growth. If so and it were mine I would chop off the surrounding small trunks and let the main one grow out a season.

Grimmy

tlynchjr

Seedling
Reaction score
Looks like the main trunk is pushing growth. If so and it were mine I would chop off the surrounding small trunks and let the main one grow out a season.

Grimmy
There is no new growth on the main trunk at all. The growth is from the shoots growing up through the middle of the tree. The main trunk in quite dead.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Might make a nice raft?

Maybe chop out the dead main trunk and wire the little trunks for some movement?

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
At this point I think to he raft idea is the only option... Is this a Rubrum? They do this sometime sit seems- trunk dies back and shoots pop from the bottom of the trunk/ exposed root base.. I have a couple that did it this year to me after repots or being chopped.. They seem prone to dropping branches/ dying back more than JM...

Top Bottom