Hibiscus syriacus/Althea/Rose of sharon

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Wondering of anyone's tried to use dormant wood/cuttings and root indoors or if best to use softwood or semi-softwood cuttings when actively growing that might be better chances of rooting them. Hoping dormant cuttings can be rooted as wanting something to do before spring

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
ive not tried cuttings from mine at all. they grow roots like crazy.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
ive not tried cuttings from mine at all. they grow roots like crazy.
yea ive yard full of multiple single blooms of white white with red throat light purple and vibrant pink and even a double/tripple that popped up from seeds ive collected over the years . was hoping i might be able take hardwood cutings and root before springs fully here but i dont wanna waste cuttings if better chances with soft wood or semi softwood cuttings (idk if makes sense) plus its along property line so tbh im nto 100% sure which bush it is until flowers so prolly have to wait for cuttings . i do have the variegated one called "variegata" beautifully variegated leaves but sadly the flowers never fully open (kinda reminds me of florist roses tight budded (in floral buisness we'd call ones that didnt open blanks or bullets )(roses i mean ) but still goregous foliage. thier are 2 other variegated ones ive read about sugar tip and gold sugar tip. (patened though) figured i could always try ones that i have that grew from seedlings and enjoy them as bonsai to practice and learn to graft and make nice nebari from and learn. since technical safe spring planting here where i am is usualy may 10th ish for no hard killing freezes been working on starting to plant annual and tree seeds ive had in stratification ect. just antsy to propagate if anything i am able too. my only worry with rose of sharon is have to be pretty careful with the cutting wounds , ;east where i live ive seen big bushes of them get dry rot and fungal mushrooms off the trunks (usualy when people have cut them back in fall then rains and gets cooler, but ik the people that did never had clean pruners and tools also , which is kinda no brainer for leaving such large cuts on shrubs and trees ;least from my experiences. glad winter is winding down gets so depressing and anxiety for me when springs coming helps alot for me personally

Top Bottom