This rose told me it wanted a home, any bonsai potential?

Franklikestrees

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have have a collection of small potted trees, but never tried bonsai. I picked this Rosa multiflora up because it was cute and cheap. Is there a bonsai hiding in here that I can’t see or should it become a part of my potted garden?

Attachments

• IMG_9257.jpeg
    IMG_9257.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9258.jpeg
    IMG_9258.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9259.jpeg
    IMG_9259.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 32

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have have a collection of small potted trees, but never tried bonsai. I picked this Rosa multiflora up because it was cute and cheap. Is there a bonsai hiding in here that I can’t see or should it become a part of my potted garden?
Has some potential. I had a very large collected multiflora rose a while back. It made an interesting but challenging bonsai. The key is having a decent trunk to work with and being willing to hard prune mercilessly. The biggest issue with them is they grow wildly, almost as aggressively as wisteria. They'e also bug magnets, especially aphids.

Those long extensions have cat claw thorns. Pruning them can draw blood.

I eventually got rid of it because of that issue, as it tried to take over my backyard, snagging me and anything near it with its thorny claws.

Franklikestrees

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for the info! All those issues may become more than I want to deal with too, but I fear that’s something I’ll end up learning first hand despite your advice. I’d like to keep picking your brain, but don’t want to trouble you with things I should be able to research myself. If you or someone else is willing to kindly give more though, what would be my first step? Being spring in NE Florida and given how bushy it already is, my guess would be a hard prune. Maybe root prune and repot at the same time?

Top Bottom