Progressive Maple Challenge - Tom's JM Bloodgood

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well I thought I'd throw this out there for the challenge as it's the only maple that I have that qualifies. Surprisingly just barely. Hard to tell from the photo but it does have the girth.

This maple has been weak for years but seems to be doing well so far this spring. It was repotted two years ago so hopefully it is now settled in. I have lost a lot of the main branches and will be rebuilding the structure from top to bottom. I have an idea of where but im not totally decided. Hoping to see it gain vigor this year. It did throw out some back buds this year so I think it's headed in the right direction.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    520.6 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 147
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 158
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 145

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Interesting looking tree. Looks super tall! What parts did you loose? I guess the question I'm asking, is did you loose the upper portion of the tree...

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's certainly different than a lot of the Maples I have seen. The top has actually done ok, it's just that the older branches on the lower/middle of the tree died back and now I have new growth coming off of stubs. Here's a closer look.
image.jpg

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I like it. Definitely a different type of styling than you usually see for maples. Good luck on getting it to re-charge itself this year.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I like it too. Very nice movement and it has a graceful quality to it. How tall is it?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You should probably cut that right branch off soon where the three branches are at the same spot, it's already starting to swell the trunk right there. I would probably think about taking the back one off as well. Other than that, you have some nice branch placements to work with.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You should probably cut that right branch off soon where the three branches are at the same spot, it's already starting to swell the trunk right there. I would probably think about taking the back one off as well. Other than that, you have some nice branch placements to work with.
I agree, I have been thinking about how to attack it but hadn't made a move yet. I think I agree with your idea though.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I agree too that those two branches need to be looked at. Also the next knuckle looks like it is starting to get larger so another point to watch. It would be nice to be able to get some growth in the section right after the point where the three branches are all at he same spot. Great looking tree though and yes different than most.

BethF

Mame
Reaction score
Very graceful. It has a lot of potential. Do you know what caused the injuries to the lower trunk?

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It does not look vigorous. The wounds low on the trunk are not healing well/ at all. I suspect there is more damage than what is showing and a good bit of that bark around the damaged area is dead as well. Should probably be removed until you find the edges- chase it back to live wood and seal it! (See Beth's progressive Maple thread to get an idea of what she did to he trident that had some scars on the trunk) Otherwise it could potentially get worse.. If you do this, it could start healing instead of just being a big dead spot on the trunk... It is losing branches because it isn't real healthy- might have something to do with that big wound that isn't healing. All sorts of bugs and diseases can get in a tree through a hole like that!

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Very graceful. It has a lot of potential. Do you know what caused the injuries to the lower trunk?
A juvenile bear mentioned that he thinks the roots dried out in that area which caused the wound if I'm remembering correctly.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It does not look vigorous. The wounds low on the trunk are not healing well/ at all. I suspect there is more damage than what is showing and a good bit of that bark around the damaged area is dead as well. Should probably be removed until you find the edges- chase it back to live wood and seal it! (See Beth's progressive Maple thread to get an idea of what she did to he trident that had some scars on the trunk) Otherwise it could potentially get worse.. If you do this, it could start healing instead of just being a big dead spot on the trunk... It is losing branches because it isn't real healthy- might have something to do with that big wound that isn't healing. All sorts of bugs and diseases can get in a tree through a hole like that!
The wound won't heal as far as I can tell. My original plan was to try and air layer above the wound. Will the tree still count for the contest if it starts at 3+ inches, but then layer above that point?

I still might try to air layer this year we will see. I just can't tell if it is vigorous enough to even try to throw roots.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
A juvenile bear mentioned that he thinks the roots dried out in that area which caused the wound if I'm remembering correctly.
You... Talked to.. A BEAR about your tree? Is that a typo or are you DR Doolittle? :)

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
The wound won't heal as far as I can tell. My original plan was to try and air layer above the wound. Will the tree still count for the contest if it starts at 3+ inches, but then layer above that point?

I still might try to air layer this year we will see. I just can't tell if it is vigorous enough to even try to throw roots.

Your measuring is currently off as it is-not that it matters-but your tape measure at the hip(2nd picture) is past one the right side by almost an inch. I think the rules where changed though, I cant remember.

I have a bloodgood and they back bud like crazy. So I would do as Judy suggests and work on some lower branch extensions and working the crown from there-it's a nice tree!

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
To me the tree stands too tall now, i would go for a highest point not higher where the trunk now splits in several branches.
Best to let it grow freely now, perhaps you can bend some new branches down and graft them lower on the trunk. Either that or airlayer the tree.

Top Bottom