USDA Zone
9b
It was doing so well...
Gonna have to buy a new one in winter.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vacation?!?! C'mon bro!! I figure I have a two week window all year to take a vacation. Beyond that, I'm taking care of trees.
Sucks that you lost some stuff. Good watering friends are hard to come by. I took a week in Feb. and still had to have someone come in to water!!

My trees are my vacation, you wouldn't believe trips I didn't go on. Bonsai and travel? Nope.
:(

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Buy a timer that attaches to your hose bib. Attach it to a fan style sprinkler and set the timer to run for desired time and duration. Costs about $40 U.S.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thing is, automatic watering was leaking so the gardener came and fixed it and moved the trees around and never told me he moved them to a place that received 1/4 of the water... so I dried a lot of trees.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I read about it when it happened to you, and it still makes me cringe...

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Which pot would you use??
I will use the other one for a red beech forest (turn dark green fairly quick)

20200522_115921.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kinda hard to tell color and such...

But since the tree there is ..."rugged", I'd use the left one, since it's more "rugged".

Less the beech forest is even more "rugged".

Nice!

Sorce

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This tree went to help this autumn... it is killing me!
This is happening all over. Some branches almost didn't open. Some open and dry. Definitely root problems. I did not repot this year.

Whats to do????

Attachments

• 20201031_190301.jpg
    20201031_190301.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 20201031_190304.jpg
    20201031_190304.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 97

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What happened last autumn?

Now is spring in Santiago and I see some crispy brown leaves in your first photo. You say obvious root problems. It could be. I suspect a pathogen causing the xylem to become clogged. A fungus that entered via a wound is usually how it happens.

If so, follow all the branches with crispy brown leaves back to a common point OR a point where the leaves are no longer crispy brown --> do you find a scar/wound? Usually the fungal pathogen gets introduced because the cutting tool was inoculated when it was previously used on a diseased tree --> you should sanitize your cutting tools after use, if not before use.

So, you're looking for something like a point where you lopped off a big branch or, say, made a partial saw cut like one might do with approach grafting. If this fits with you. If this is the pattern you find, the remedy is to (sanitize you cutting tool before) remove the branch at a point below that entry wound.

If you don't find a wound associated with any of this, then it could be a root issue. With any luck, it will be only one side of the tree --> the roots on that side are the ones that are dying for some reason. There are bacterial root pathogens as well as fungal ones. A hydrogen peroxide drench might be effective. I buy 3% peroxide at the grocery/pharmacy and dilute it to 1000 to 3000 ppm (0.1 to 0.3%),

What are your observations in these regards?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks! I will double check on that!
the tree has burnt leaves all over, not burnt tips but burnt leaves. I think I will definitely loose branches.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Did you repot it ? What kind of soil are you using ?

Like Osoyoung, I suspect it might be some kind of root issue. His advice about hydrogen peroxide is a good idea. I saved a couple that had similar symptoms with this.

What's more, if there's a root issue, the tree is weak so more prone to get fungal diseases. After the peroxide, say one week later, I would perhaps use copper fungicide diluted to half what is recommended.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
A hydrogen peroxide drench might be effective. I buy 3% peroxide at the grocery/pharmacy and dilute it to 1000 to 3000 ppm (0.1 to 0.3%),
Ok, so I bought half a liter of 3% and will be diluting with 5 liters of water.
How long should the pot stay in this solution?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I usually just pour it on like I was watering, but you could dunk, wait for a few seconds, lift & drain. Maybe repeat. You just want the solution to be throughout the substrate.

Don't water until needed.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So I did that 2 weeks ago... It is still deteriorating.
I am watching it die.
Would change the soil be a death sentence?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
STOP Max! I've seen worse and the tree lived. I see white spots all over the leaves. Are you sure it doesn't have scale or something? What is your season now?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
STOP Max! I've seen worse and the tree lived. I see white spots all over the leaves. Are you sure it doesn't have scale or something? What is your season now?
It's currently late spring.
It's looking horrible.

Attachments

• 20201118_194928.jpg
    20201118_194928.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 20201118_194917.jpg
    20201118_194917.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 56
Top Bottom