Princess 👑 Persimmon no. 1

I recommend applying full strength miracle grow once a week until winter. Let it grow like nuts and prune back only after the leaves have fallen. Or if you really want fruit don't prune until next spring after it flowers
Ya I’m gonna try feeding the hell out of it .

Just let it grow out. It should produce fruit. When I got mine I root pruned at the wrong time. I thought I killed it because not one bud opened for a year. 4 Years later and it's fine producing fruit, but I haven't done much top pruning. In fact I just did my second root prune a couple months ago before bud break and there are even more flowers than the previous years. Also I've read that they like deeper pots. Most of the ones I see here in Japan are usually in deeper pots.

I really need to top prune though. Thinking about doing it next season. How are these at back budding?

IMG_5948.jpegIMG_5950.jpegIt’s dropping all its leaves help! Idk wtf is going on.. but the scratch test on tree and roots still shows green.. and there are buds forming where the leaves fell … maybe it will flush again? Maybe it is going into early dormancy?? Summer dormancy form the high heat here last week?? Idk

View attachment 554765View attachment 554766It’s dropping all its leaves help! Idk wtf is going on.. but the scratch test on tree and roots still shows green.. and there are buds forming where the leaves fell … maybe it will flush again? Maybe it is going into early dormancy?? Summer dormancy form the high heat here last week?? Idk
Yikes. Sorry I can't help, but what is high heat for you?
It gets into the 90s here with high humidity. I usually have mine in full afternoon sun. I'll usually water maybe 3 times a day though. It usually does fine.

View attachment 554765View attachment 554766It’s dropping all its leaves help! Idk wtf is going on.. but the scratch test on tree and roots still shows green.. and there are buds forming where the leaves fell … maybe it will flush again? Maybe it is going into early dormancy?? Summer dormancy form the high heat here last week?? Idk
My 3 P.P arejust a couple of years old and in pond baskets, but they are going gang busters in the heat. Mine are in full sun for 6 hours, and then partial shade.

Good luck!

Yikes. Sorry I can't help, but what is high heat for you?
It gets into the 90s here with high humidity. I usually have mine in full afternoon sun. I'll usually water maybe 3 times a day though. It usually does fine.
It was in the 90’s was watering 2x per day … idk we’ll see how it responds

Some of mine do drop quite a bit of their leaves... in the summer... but they are fine. Don't be too concerned if the tree was healthy.

Some of mine do drop quite a bit of their leaves... in the summer... but they are fine. Don't be too concerned if the tree was healthy.
Mine doesn't loose it's leaves. Maybe your pots are too shallow? As I mentioned above, they like deeper pots.
Video of old man persimmon(royagaki/老爺柿) You can see they use deeper pots here.

Last edited:
Mine doesn't loose it's leaves. Maybe your pots are too shallow? As I mentioned above, they like deeper pots.
Mine do every year and they are not even in bonsai pot. The pot is still fairly big and deep for their size. Will take some pics when I get home to alleviate Shogun's concern.

Mine do every year and they are not even in bonsai pot. The pot is still fairly big and deep for their size. Will take some pics when I get home to alleviate Shogun's concern.
Maybe humidity helps to hold leaves? How is the humidity in Houston?

Humidity in Houston is something like 1000000000%.

I’m getting sweaty just thinking about Houston humidity
Then I don't know. I do nothing to mine except water it and it's growing fine I think.

20240629_093434.jpg20240629_093450.jpg20240629_093500.jpg20240629_093528.jpg20240629_093614.jpg20240629_093623.jpg20240629_093702.jpg
It's not the best for the tree development but it is not a dead sentence for them either. I wouldn't hold my breath for those buds to open this year... they will next Spring though.

I have had this happen on a weak tree that was repotted. This tree is still weak in the roots, so I think the tree went into shock because of the root-leaf imbalance in the heat. But budding again is a good thing and it may come through. My tree that dropped its leaves is now healthy. If you have shade cloth I recommend getting it under there and really pull back on the watering. I am using 60% on some of my trees that are weak. Do not let this tree freeze this winter!

It's not the best for the tree development but it is not a dead sentence for them either. I wouldn't hold my breath for those buds to open this year... they will next Spring though.
I think these need more sun! The leaves look really dark and sparse. You will get better fruiting and growth with more sun.

I recommend applying full strength miracle grow once a week until winter. Let it grow like nuts and prune back only after the leaves have fallen. Or if you really want fruit don't prune until next spring after it flowers

Question - are you saying this for fruit production purposes? Wish I had seen this - I pruned two yesterday and left leaders at the top hoping to at least get some thickening. My thought was that it would back bud and help keep growth tighter or even get some back budding lower down on the trunk…

Feeding heavily with osmocote

I have had this happen on a weak tree that was repotted. This tree is still weak in the roots, so I think the tree went into shock because of the root-leaf imbalance in the heat. But budding again is a good thing and it may come through. My tree that dropped its leaves is now healthy. If you have shade cloth I recommend getting it under there and really pull back on the watering. I am using 60% on some of my trees that are weak. Do not let this tree freeze this winter!

I think these need more sun! The leaves look really dark and sparse. You will get better fruiting and growth with more sun.
You have a point on my trees. They are currently under 90% shade cloth. This is the first year I put up the shade cloth but I have similar issue with dropping leaves on them in past years also. Maybe my soil mix is too porous? I have a tree from you and yours seem to have more river sand in it.

You have a point on my trees. They are currently under 90% shade cloth. This is the first year I put up the shade cloth but I have similar issue with dropping leaves on them in past years also. Maybe my soil mix is too porous? I have a tree from you and yours seem to have more river sand in it.
I use pure akadama about the same size your soil mix. I don't know how porous it is compared to what you are using.

Question - are you saying this for fruit production purposes? Wish I had seen this - I pruned two yesterday and left leaders at the top hoping to at least get some thickening. My thought was that it would back bud and help keep growth tighter or even get some back budding lower down on the trunk…

Feeding heavily with osmocote
My advice was for shogun's specific weak tree, to not touch it all this year until it is back on its feet. If your tree is humming along do whatever you want.

In general, you can prune anytime you want and these trees are very good at back budding everywhere. Flower buds start forming in September on previous year's growth, so if you are trying to show a tree you can wait and prune later in the year and you can actually tell if there is a flower bud or a leaf bud. Usually the flowers are out on the ends of branches. If you are building a tree then just ignore the fruit factor.
The sand is from previous owner :) not me. I have mine in 100% pumice. If it is in a bonsai pot then I have it in 50/50 akadama pumice. I don't think the soil is a huge factor.

The best analogy for princess persimmons is they are like a train on rails. If you are on the rails then it will grow like crazy and you can treat them however you want. But if you fall off the rails it is a real train wreck and takes 2-3 years to get it back on the rails. Careful weaning and protection etc.

The best analogy for princess persimmons is they are like a train on rails. If you are on the rails then it will grow like crazy and you can treat them however you want. But if you fall off the rails it is a real train wreck and takes 2-3 years to get it back on the rails. Careful weaning and protection etc.
Good to know. I thought I had killed mine when I first got it and not one bud opened for a full year. Now it's fine.

How are these things doing doing air layers?

Back
Top Bottom