PIGLET CHAPTER 2

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Certainly a stunning pot, something is off for me for with Pig tho. Either the color of the painting or the decorative band....almost feels like it's trying too hard. maybe it'd grow on me...

I hear you. Obviously going with a very Asian feel with this pot. I don't think we are used to seeing trees this large in painted pots. I will say I quite like it. I thought the grayish blue sets of the orange tones of the trunk well while the tan picks up on the general warm colors of the tree.

I any case, for now just an idea. But I think I will land of a rectangular shaped pot rather than an oval one.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I hear you. Obviously going with a very Asian feel with this pot. I don't think we are used to seeing trees this large in painted pots. I will say I quite like it. I thought the grayish blue sets of the orange tones of the trunk well while the tan picks up on the general warm colors of the tree.

I any case, for now just an idea. But I think I will land of a rectangular shaped pot rather than an oval one.

I was just thinking yesterday that it’s strange how only shohin and mame trees seem to be planted in painted pots. The painted pot housing a large tree certainly makes a statement.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I finally caught up with this big girl. She was pruned back and wired some of the branches into position. In spring of last year I paired her up with a beautiful Taiwanese hand painted pot. I really like the pot! The blue-green hues of the pot compliment and bring out the orange tones of the bark. In working it I shifted her front by a few degrees clockwise hence the crooked pot in the photos. It will remain as is until I repot her again in the spring of 2025.

At this point I feel I have reached the general volume of the canopy. This year the focus will be in preserving the outline while continuing to develop the fine ramification. It may be show ready in another two years or so.

IMG_5335.jpg

IMG_5335 a.jpg

IMG_5318.jpg

IMG_5319.jpg

IMG_5316.jpg

IMG_5321.jpg

IMG_5326.jpg

One of the biggest scars (roughly over 3" in diameter) located right where all the sub-trunks converge is closing nicely after it was cleaned up and filled with two-part epoxy in the spring of 2023.

IMG_5338.jpg

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Possibly my favorite trident ever here Sergio!!

However, I think I'm in the same camp as Judy on this one. I'm sure it's a stunner in person, but in these photo's I feel like it makes Piglet look small... which sounds ridiculous writing it out.. 😂, but it just does to my eye.

bonsaiwood

Mame
Reaction score
Being a newer member to B-nut I had no idea this thread existed. What a beautiful tree and I must agree, the pot is lovely.
Congrats!

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In leaf I'm sure it will feel more balanced.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fantastic @MACH5

Have a question however....how much does that tree and pot weigh anyway?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Possibly my favorite trident ever here Sergio!!

However, I think I'm in the same camp as Judy on this one. I'm sure it's a stunner in person, but in these photo's I feel like it makes Piglet look small... which sounds ridiculous writing it out.. 😂, but it just does to my eye.

Perhaps? Let's wait and see after it is "finished" in another couple of years and see how we feel about it.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea I figured it was very heavy.
I'd love to have something like that some day but I don't have a way to move it when needed so I'll have to stick with my smaller trees that I can handle

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I don't really know but A LOT!! A two man tree for sure.
Well, doesn't that depend upon the man, Sergio ;) ?

Ever since I first saw piglet when @JudyB unveiled her many years ago, I've compared pretty much every trident I've seen since to this stonker.... and none have measured up! Wonderful job picking up where Judy left off. The canopy has really caught up to that fantastic trunk. Looking forward to seeing it in person some day.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
At this point I feel I have reached the general volume of the canopy. This year the focus will be in preserving the outline while continuing to develop the fine ramification. It may be show ready in another two years or so.
I think this thread is an excellent example of the importance of fine wiring on even the smallest branches.

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This feels like one of Maria Hadjic's trees. Can't wait to see it on display

Top Bottom