PIGLET CHAPTER 2

Great tree and very much appreciate all the pics of the root grafts. Priceless info.

Thanks! Some of those root grafts took quickly. Others still in progress from last year. The difficulty is that they tend to get heavily shaded during the growing season. The canopy is too large so they are not growing as vigorously as they should.

How come Dave?
I'm inherently lazy and it's hard enough doing a proper re-pot on a big trident- (I need an apprentice!), never mind adding anywhere from three to eight root grafts. I was probably going to do the grafts anyway, but seeing Piglet's root base gently nudged me in the right direction!

I'm inherently lazy and it's hard enough doing a proper re-pot on a big trident- (I need an apprentice!), never mind adding anywhere from three to eight root grafts. I was probably going to do the grafts anyway, but seeing Piglet's root base gently nudged me in the right direction!

LOL! Maybe just do a couple every time you repot? As you can see piglet is a small beast so Sal's help cut time in half at least.

Incidentally I met Byron Myrick down in Louisiana last weekend. I think I will have him do a custom pot for this one eventually.

Recently repotted with my good friend and trusty apprentice Sal (@Tidal Bonsai). Finally was put into a bonsai pot although not a final one. But happy to finally get it out of its box!

A good cut back, a bit of wire and shaped this time mostly by pruning. Still much more to come but happy with its fast development.

View attachment 426202

View attachment 426203

View attachment 426204

View attachment 426205

View attachment 426206

View attachment 426207

View attachment 426208
Tell us about the new pot!

Not much to say. I believe it's just a production grade Japanese pot. Not sure exactly from where? This will not be its final pot although Piglet looks ok in it ☺️

This is the pot that my large multi-trunk Japanese maple ( https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/ebihara-branch-relocation.45764 ) came in originally and then repurposed this year for Piglet.
I wondered if it was the same pot from when you got it from Judy. Couldn’t tell with black and white.

mind sharing the dimensions?

Sergio... I continue reading your progression threads (btw. every one of them amazing) ... and seems quite often with deciduous trees you apply approach grafts to improve nebari, which yields quite impressive results. Why not thread grafting? I saw somebody suggested this as potential alternative...

Sergio... I continue reading your progression threads (btw. every one of them amazing) ... and seems quite often with deciduous trees you apply approach grafts to improve nebari, which yields quite impressive results. Why not thread grafting? I saw somebody suggested this as potential alternative...

It all depends on location. In this case I would have to drill through a lot of wood to do the thread root grafting. So it was better to do approach grafts.

Strip show! Piglet showing her assets in all her naked glory!

My good apprentice Sal (@Tidal Bonsai) did a great job helping me defoliate this little giant. Started plucking leaves with fingers and finished off with scissors. Much more development to accomplish but coming along nicely. Did a quick cutback generally all down to one node but more careful, selective branch pruning will be done after leaf fall.

It was also a good time to check on the progress of the root grafts. All had taken well with the exception of one which I had to redo. The rest were cut off leaving a tiny stub.

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1788.jpg

IMG_1778.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful tree and impressive work Sergio!
Its great to see the progression of this tree.
Bravo guys!

Hey @Tidal Bonsai , your quite a few levels up on Tommy Lee....he had to paint sulfur on, de-foliating is a "breeze", as it were....

Nice job.:cool:

He now even asks for a bowl of M&Ms with the green ones taken out! So yeah... Tommy you might want to give Sal a ring! 😅😂

Hey @Tidal Bonsai , your quite a few levels up on Tommy Lee....he had to paint sulfur on, de-foliating is a "breeze", as it were....

Nice job.:cool:

Anyone who is lucky enough to be able to learn with a professional is very fortunate indeed! I can't pack stadiums with my talent, so he still has a leg up on me 😅

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom