PIGLET CHAPTER 2

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I purchased and picked up Judy's famous trident maple "PIGLET" last year in the fall. As the story goes, I originally wanted to buy this tree from Don a few years back. When I contacted him to pull the trigger I was disappointed to know that someone else had beaten me to the punch. About a week later I found out it was none other than Judy who bought the tree when she posted it here.

Little that I know that Piglet would eventually make its way into my garden. And so... I pick things up where Judy left them and the story continues into the next chapter. Here is Judy's original thread for more context: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/pigletts-progress.18372/

Below Piglet when it arrived at my place November 2018.

The two main tasks that I wanted to accomplish this year were to make several root grafts and transplant it into a wooden box as I'd like to thicken up some trunk to branch transitions. Below Piglet before the work.

After the work was completed. Fourteen root grafts were done and a transfer into a wooden box. The grafted seedlings were all wire to face up and out to ensure they receive good light and air. The soil covered in fine sphagnum moss will help keep the grafts nice and damp and all were sealed with cut paste. No other work was done at this time.

Some photos of the process. A 50/50 mix of akadama and pumice was used.

What function will these root grafts serve? Nebari enhancement?

Sweet! Hope they take and can’t wait to see the updates

How tough is the green thing from those grafting nails?? They don't ship to Chile so I have to look for something similar.
I grafted a deshojo and it pushed out because I didn't have something like this.

So nice to see more information about this tree.

Sergio, is there a board placed underneath that tree? What was your reasoning either way?

How tough is the green thing from those grafting nails?? They don't ship to Chile so I have to look for something similar.
I grafted a deshojo and it pushed out because I didn't have something like this.

They are made of rubber and somewhat soft making them a superior product to regular pushpins in my opinion. Yes you always have to hold the grafts tightly in place otherwise they get "kicked out".

So nice to see more information about this tree.

Sergio, is there a board placed underneath that tree? What was your reasoning either way?

No board. I did not want to mess with the roots. This tree was not ready yet for a full repotting. This was more of a slip potting operation.

Check out "rubber earring backs", you may be able to find them and use with map pins. I haven't used them but from the product picture they look similar. The green bit is slightly squishy which keeps tension on the graft as it expands.

Back
Top Bottom