One For Smoke, Trident Chop

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Update: The last gasp.

It has finally put out a few leaves, unfortunately, it may bee too little, too late. I only have about 6 weeks before it cools off. We shall see, I will be praying for a mild winter.

DSC05876-1.jpg

DSC05877-1.jpg

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If its that weak this time of year it will likely not make it thru the winter,ive had this happen,the tree will use up all its buds pushing small leaves that shrivel/turn black till it finally dies,really sucks its a nice base.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Update: The last gasp.

It has finally put out a few leaves, unfortunately, it may bee too little, too late. I only have about 6 weeks before it cools off. We shall see, I will be praying for a mild winter.

View attachment 161323

View attachment 161324
That saying the tree is still alive. There is hope. Watch the water carefully. The roots are still good. It will come back next Spring.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Hope it makes it. I had a trident throw out a late flush of growth well into October because of a strong heat wave. Fortunately I have mild winters but growth when your tree should be in dormancy is never a good thing. I'd say just keep caring for it and by next spring you'll know if it makes it.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess I made @Smoke 's ignore list, thanks guys for all of the advice and support, maybe it will make it.

John
Your not on ignore, I was just busy with my wife failing and then death. You have done lots to this poor tree, and it has never had the real time to recover before the next insult hit. Before work is done to any tree, even hardy trees like elms and tridents, they should have a canopy full of healthy green leaves and well established in growing new ones. I wouldn't even venture a guess on how this stump will do. What I would do is try to make some sort of one tree hot house out of a sterlite container or similar. Even some PVC frame and 4 or 6 mill plastic and try to get more leaves in what time you have. No idea about your winters but mulch it well and maybe wrap the trunk in raffia for the winter. Don't let any cold or freezing get into the trunk. make sure the wounds are sealed well and check on them thru the winter. It will dessicate if unprotected. Thats about all you can do...and if by some Devine intervention it makes it...DO NOT DO ANYTHING FOR TWO YEARS! Don't prune, don't repot, nothing!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Thanks, Smoke, and I am sorry to hear about your wife, I liked reading about the adventures you two had.

I will try to do what I can before it gets cold. Winters are very mild here, last year I only had to bring the tropicals in three times. It was very healthy before I chopped it, the black fungus of death is what did it in, every time it through out some buds, the shriveled up and died. I hope it makes it, I will do what I can to pamper it.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Sorry to report, this one succumbed to anthracose or psudonomas or both. It is dead, other than some roots that are active. I planted it in the ground to see what happens. I don't expect much.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am so sorry your trident didn't make it. And so very sad to hear about your wife, Smoke. ;/ This has still been a very good thread to read and learn from. I am sending you both good thoughts and hope for future successes.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should be ok, last winter was weak (2016), and that set up the perfect storm for fungus. I could not stay ahead of it...
Send me a PM around Jan first. I have lots of tridents around here I can send ya to play with. I can send them bare root in a plain brown wrapper marked "sex toys, handle with care".

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Send me a PM around Jan first. I have lots of tridents around here I can send ya to play with. I can send them bare root in a plain brown wrapper marked "sex toys, handle with care".

lol, that would be great, it would just blend in with the rest of the mail.

Thanks for the offer and I will take you up on it!

John

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
At least lessons were learnt right?
Those roots looked unbelievable!! Was it maybe the root condition that created a dormant problem which then popped up?
I’ve no experience of tridents, just trying to guess from having just read this whole thread..

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
At least lessons were learnt right?
Those roots looked unbelievable!! Was it maybe the root condition that created a dormant problem which then popped up?
I’ve no experience of tridents, just trying to guess from having just read this whole thread..

No, the roots were healthy. I had the perfect storm with the warm winter and cool wet spring for fungus attacks, in spite of my spraying weekly (and sometimes twice a week) I lost five maples to fungus. As soon as a new bud emerged the leaves would blacken and die. One Japanese maple that I had been growing on a board for years (nice nebari) got the black trunk of death, fine one day, one side of the tree gone three days later. Others in my area had problems too. I guess the only lesson for me is that maybe I should have maybe chopped a little higher to have more buds. Maybe if there were more, maybe one or two would have made it.

This is what happened to one of the kyohime Japanese maples:

dsc06119-1.jpg

dsc06115-1.jpg

dsc06113-1.jpg

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No, the roots were healthy. I had the perfect storm with the warm winter and cool wet spring for fungus attacks, in spite of my spraying weekly (and sometimes twice a week) I lost five maples to fungus. As soon as a new bud emerged the leaves would blacken and die. One Japanese maple that I had been growing on a board for years (nice nebari) got the black trunk of death, fine one day, one side of the tree gone three days later. Others in my area had problems too. I guess the only lesson for me is that maybe I should have maybe chopped a little higher to have more buds. Maybe if there were more, maybe one or two would have made it.

This is what happened to one of the kyohime Japanese maples:

dsc06119-1.jpg

dsc06115-1.jpg

dsc06113-1.jpg

Good to know what that looks like! Not bloody good..

So those roots, a complete solid block of roots... surely there must be some disadvantage to those condition of roots?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Good to know what that looks like! Not bloody good..

So those roots, a complete solid block of roots... surely there must be some disadvantage to those condition of roots?

Other than having to water twice a day, there really wasn't. Oh, and the time it took to repot it and straighten that hot mess out. It had been like that for several years and came out and grew like a beast every spring. If anything, the extra room for new root growth should have triggered more growth up top. It made a lot of buds, the fungus just attacked everything that it put out, till it was spent. The warm winter and cool spring really helped the fungus out. A lot of people lost trees in the landscape too. I lost a Japanese maple in the landscape along with the ones in the pots.

Top Bottom