New here and to bonsai, nice to meet you

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks i tought so too, because it was ridiculous hot in the netherlands last two weeks..
Anything i can do to make them happier?
Keep them in shade and make sure they stay moist--not soggy. Cover the pots loosely with wet towels--evaporation from the towels will help cool the pot down a bit.

Reactions: Dux

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome to the site, Dux was my childhood nickname, haven't seen it since. And to add to your thread, I agree with rockm just heat stress, shade is the best option

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Keep them in shade and make sure they stay moist--not soggy. Cover the pots loosely with wet towels--evaporation from the towels will help cool the pot down a bit.
I usually put cheese cloth down around the top of the pot and put down an inch of 1/4" pine bark nuggets. That keep the tree cooler and I can just lift the cheese cloth to remove the bark later.

Dux

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks guys, will give them some more shade!

Welcome to the site, Dux was my childhood nickname, haven't seen it since. And to add to your thread, I agree with rockm just heat stress, shade is the best option
Haha oh thats cool!! Nice to meer you too then Dux :)

Dux

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hi i got another question, since its the first time im shifting to another season, my pinus is turning yellow, its been raining a lot and im not sure he is okay with that. Is it normal? Do they lose their pine??

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
u need to repot in spring mate the soil seems not ok to me

Dux

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
u need to repot in spring mate the soil seems not ok to me
Ye i'm planning to take it out of its training pot in spring and put it in a nice bonsai pot!
The brown stuff on top of the soil is the fertalizer

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I noticed the fertilizer but I was actually referring tot the soil beneath. U can already start preparing a decent soil mix. A suggestion, but u can find lots of mixtures on the forum.

Deciduous Bonsai soil​

• 50% Akadama
  • 25% Pumice
  • 25% Lava rock

Coniferous and Pine soil​

• 33% Akadama
  • 33% Pumice
  • 33% Lava rock

Dux

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I noticed the fertilizer but I was actually referring tot the soil beneath. U can already start preparing a decent soil mix. A suggestion, but u can find lots of mixtures on the forum.

Deciduous Bonsai soil​

• 50% Akadama
  • 25% Pumice
  • 25% Lava rock

Coniferous and Pine soil​

• 33% Akadama
  • 33% Pumice
  • 33% Lava rock
Thanks man will do! You think my pinus is at risk if i wait till spring?
And do you know if they flush?

SgtPilko

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi i got another question, since its the first time im shifting to another season, my pinus is turning yellow, its been raining a lot and im not sure he is okay with that. Is it normal? Do they lose their pine??
I'm fairly new as well. My white pine has also been shedding old needles, don't worry it's fine. They do lose some needles, then grow some more! It should just be the sets of needles further away from the tips of the branches. JWP do like it 'drier' but a few days of rain won't trigger anything terrible.

You can repot in spring into a super free-draining mix, usually later spring in northern europe once it has warmed up a bit. Doing anything before then with the roots/soil would be a bad idea. Poking holes was a good idea, and you can reduce the watering/rain it gets so its not soggy all the time.

Last edited:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In holly pot see small spiky leaved weeds? Insidious false moss weeds need removed. Do not allow to flower. Once established very hard to get rid of🤬. Also do not need expensive money waste of crapadama or lava for soil. Use pumice 100% for conifer, pumice 60%, sifted decomposed bark 40% for deciduous/broad leaf trees☺️.

StarGazer

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Now that fall is here, do not worry when your metasequoia forest loses its leaves as they are deciduous trees. They produce nice fall colors.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Greetings, traveller!

Glad the drums' call lured you to this, particular clearing. You are welcome here, in the Tiny Forest. As you can see, the inhabitants are eager to correspond and fellowship.
Dance 'mongst the reeds, the way the Woody Dwarves (Pa-Is) do... T'will please the spirit of the woods.

This place is a freaky communal bazaar, take what you need, offer what you can.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

🤓

Dux

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
hey, winter started today and the first frost is starting, its -1 or -3 in the night. Are my bonsai safe, do i stop watering them? What is the play here

Top Bottom