Any tips for my dwarf jade bonsai? I'm new here!

It comes down to personal preference. Wire works well for some people, others not. Try both wire and grow-then-clip. I do grow-then-clip exclusively because I dislike coil wiring. Sometimes I will use guy wires or other props and braces. People who use wire on Portulacaria sometimes suggest letting the tree get dry to the point of wilting so that the branches are less brittle and prone to break.

It comes down to personal preference. Wire works well for some people, others not. Try both wire and grow-then-clip. I do grow-then-clip exclusively because I dislike coil wiring. Sometimes I will use guy wires or other props and braces. People who use wire on Portulacaria sometimes suggest letting the tree get dry to the point of wilting so that the branches are less brittle and prone to break.
When I eventually get another bonsai to take care of i'll try out wires. Appreciate the info!

I am unable to find the PAR or PPS rating. This is the link (https://a.co/d/08VJ9xaW) to the grow light I purchased. If you're able to find it that would be appreciated!
There's a free app called Photone you can download that can give you some light measurements, phones aren't the most accurate way to measure, so I would assume about a 10% margin of error, but it's better than nothing, I use it to manage the light levels for my nepenthes

Appreciate the info! You see I got the grow tent because I wanted to start off with a chinese elm, but the nursery that was closest to me didn't have any so I went and tried the dwarf jade. I will take the it out the grow tent and leave it on my desk closest to the window (which the light is blocked off from because of another building). I also do have a timer for 9 hours, would that be enough time or should I set it to the 12 hour option?
I'm glad you decided on the jade instead of the Chinese Elm. Living outdoors is a definite requirement for one of those, or they'll just die slowly inside. Jade and ficus are both good options for indoors considering your current living situation and light availability. I have some standard jade that have lived inside year-round for over 3 years and do just fine with only the natural light from a south-facing window.

As for that light fixture you bought, I couldn't find a PAR or PPF rating anywhere, but considering it sells for just $20, I can't imagine it's that high. It should be sufficient for a dwarf jade though, combined with being placed near a window. You can leave it on the 9-hour setting for now and just wait and watch. You can always increase it later if needed.

When I bring all my tropicals inside each fall, they get lit up through the winter with two of these: https://www.amazon.com/GE-Lighting-93101226-Balanced-Spectrum/dp/B07NNR9DLX/
As well as two of these bulbs that I put into reptile clamp lamps: https://www.amazon.com/GE-Lighting-93101232-Balanced-Spectrum/dp/B07NNT3G7J/

I highly recommend them both. They would be overkill for single dwarf jade, but I have a lot of plants I bring in each fall and have to keep alive through the winter.

There's a free app called Photone you can download that can give you some light measurements, phones aren't the most accurate way to measure, so I would assume about a 10% margin of error, but it's better than nothing, I use it to manage the light levels for my nepenthes
Yes so I tried the app and the PAR meter was ranging from 170 - 250 PPFD. Is this good?

Reactions: WBY
I'm glad you decided on the jade instead of the Chinese Elm. Living outdoors is a definite requirement for one of those, or they'll just die slowly inside. Jade and ficus are both good options for indoors considering your current living situation and light availability. I have some standard jade that have lived inside year-round for over 3 years and do just fine with only the natural light from a south-facing window.

As for that light fixture you bought, I couldn't find a PAR or PPF rating anywhere, but considering it sells for just $20, I can't imagine it's that high. It should be sufficient for a dwarf jade though, combined with being placed near a window. You can leave it on the 9-hour setting for now and just wait and watch. You can always increase it later if needed.

When I bring all my tropicals inside each fall, they get lit up through the winter with two of these: https://www.amazon.com/GE-Lighting-93101226-Balanced-Spectrum/dp/B07NNR9DLX/
As well as two of these bulbs that I put into reptile clamp lamps: https://www.amazon.com/GE-Lighting-93101232-Balanced-Spectrum/dp/B07NNT3G7J/

I highly recommend them both. They would be overkill for single dwarf jade, but I have a lot of plants I bring in each fall and have to keep alive through the winter.
You're right, I was doing some research and seen that chinese elm's cant really thrive indoors. I'll definitely look into these lights for when I really get the grasp of things. Also the grow light I have comes with a full spectrum and a blue and red spectrum. Which one would be preferable for this bonsai? Thanks again!

Yes so I tried the app and the PAR meter was ranging from 170 - 250 PPFD. Is this good?
I would say no, you're gonna want higher than that if possible, that's the range where I keep my nepenthes, which are not extremely light-hungry plants and tend to grow (at least initially) in a bunch of undergrowth in the jungle. My indoor cacti I keep around 750-1000 with an LED panel light hanging about 6 inches above the plants

200 PPFD is pretty low. Put your tree in the window with the grow light on for 16 hours a day. Yes, run the grow light in the day time too. And use the full spectrum setting.

Okay, i've been seeing a lot of mixed ideas on if I should clip and grow or wire online. At the end of the day is it based on preference? What happens to the dwarf jade if I wire it and or I dont wire? Thanks!
Jades are succulents, they don't really have bark. Yours is young, not sure wire is the way to go but your tree, your decision.

I would say no, you're gonna want higher than that if possible, that's the range where I keep my nepenthes, which are not extremely light-hungry plants and tend to grow (at least initially) in a bunch of undergrowth in the jungle. My indoor cacti I keep around 750-1000 with an LED panel light hanging about 6 inches above the plants
Would you say I should buy another grow light? Do you have any recommendations? Thanks!

Would you say I should buy another grow light? Do you have any recommendations? Thanks!
the brand Sansi makes some pretty good 36w bulbs that you can fit in a typical a26 light fixture

I looked up the panel light I'm using for my succulents currently and it appears to not be available on Amazon at this time but it's fairly similar to something like this: https://a.co/d/00BD22wY except mine hangs on some metal cables as opposed to being on a gooseneck

the brand Sansi makes some pretty good 36w bulbs that you can fit in a typical a26 light fixture

I looked up the panel light I'm using for my succulents currently and it appears to not be available on Amazon at this time but it's fairly similar to something like this: https://a.co/d/00BD22wY except mine hangs on some metal cables as opposed to being on a gooseneck
Got it, I'll look into these for sure. Thanks!

Reactions: WBY
Jades are succulents, they don't really have bark. Yours is young, not sure wire is the way to go but your tree, your decision.
Not sure what bark has to do with wiring, other than you don't have to worry about it slipping and killing branches. The ability for P Afra to be bent and set into place is well established, and you'd be hard pressed to get nice trunk curves clip and grow only.

Back
Top Bottom