New cherry trees

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The U.S. is getting 250 more cherry trees as a gift from Japan to replace trees that are being removed from the tidal basin in D.C. to renovate a dilapidated sea wall there. The 250 represents the 250th anniversary of the U.S. The 53 original bonsai at the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum were a gift from Japan in 1976 to commemorate the U.S. bicentennial.
Just thought it was interesting symmetry...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That's cool. Too bad they couldn't just relocate the existing.
I recall somebody mentioning that from the perspective of a layman or arborist who isn't as tree crazed as ourselves... Removing them with sufficient roots to support life and establish in a new location isn't worth the time or effort in their book. The average person simply cares that there are flowering cherry trees, they don't care if its the same one they've been appreciating their entire childhood.

Unfortunate, would've been nice to see the state give the trees a second lease on life by letting collectors try their hand.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The U.S. is getting 250 more cherry trees as a gift from Japan to replace trees that are being removed from the tidal basin in D.C. to renovate a dilapidated sea wall there. The 250 represents the 250th anniversary of the U.S. The 53 original bonsai at the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum were a gift from Japan in 1976 to commemorate the U.S. bicentennial.
Just thought it was interesting symmetry...
What a wonderful gift 🕊️

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recall somebody mentioning that from the perspective of a layman or arborist who isn't as tree crazed as ourselves... Removing them with sufficient roots to support life and establish in a new location isn't worth the time or effort in their book. The average person simply cares that there are flowering cherry trees, they don't care if its the same one they've been appreciating their entire childhood.

Unfortunate, would've been nice to see the state give the trees a second lease on life by letting collectors try their hand.
The thing is cherry trees aren't long-lived. After 40-50 years they decline and die. The original gift trees from 1912 are 99 percent gone. They've been replaced over and over again using cuttings and other sources through the Park Service, from what I understand. Only a handful of the originals remain and even then the Park Service isn't entirely sure which ones they are.

As for allowing trees to be collected, that's a problem. Many of the trees that have been replaced were in advanced stages of decay and were shells of themselves with compromised trunks (Some very badly) etc. The decision to allow collectors to dig them up is fraught with problems -- who would be allowed to dig them and keep (sell/buy?) them -- private collectors, the Park Service?. Also relocating the trees is cost prohibitive and the "who's gonna pay for that " quotient is high...The trees are located in a National Park, which is already under stress from millions of tourists (guess what kill cherry trees relatively quickly? a million tourists compacting the ground and climbing in them breaking off limbs and taking cuttings --"one won't hurt the tree :rolleyes:" Maybe not but a thousand will.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea I heard about them having to destroy something like 100 to be able to redo that seawall. Was sad to hear it. Problem is some are getting inundated with sea water so aren't in the best health because of that.
Nice of Japan to gift us more trees...I'm sure the USDA will be involved with that transfer

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe some one can ask for this one.

View attachment 539728
Stumpy is something of a local hero (but the tree's notoriety grew nationally). The tree is gone now I think. It was only 25 years old, but located in an area that flooded constantly. Root rot then trunk rot. The NPS is taking cuttings to replant

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Stumpy is something of a local hero (but the tree's notoriety grew nationally). The tree is gone now I think. It was only 25 years old, but located in an area that flooded constantly. Root rot then trunk rot. The NPS is taking cuttings to replant
Wow, glad they could salvage cuttings at least

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
“Yet, every year, during peak bloom, despite everything else, he puts out these beautiful blossoms and I think a lot of people relate to that. It’s a story of perseverance through difficult times.”

that is pretty much the essence of bonsai...

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Now I love Stumpy even more after reading the story, I didn't know he was that popular....My friend just send me a pic of him a few weeks back while fishing.

Top Bottom