New bonsai addict

Bonsai901

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Certainly reading a book or two will help you get started with a general introduction to bonsai. But, there's nothing like working with an experienced practitioner.
That is exactly what I am hoping to find. I have read so much, yet a lot of it would make much more sense if I could just see it in person.
I have reached out to the local club, hopefully they get back soon.

flyinmanatee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Certainly reading a book or two will help you get started with a general introduction to bonsai. But, there's nothing like working with an experienced practitioner.

The way they handle the tree, use the tools, manipulate the branches... all these subtle things just cannot be conveyed via a book. Video is better, but even that is limited.

It's like trying to learn to play tennis. Yeah, there's books. And videos. And, some people just pick up a racket and try to play with no instruction at all. The most successful, however, take lessons from a pro. A pro can start you off with a solid foundation of basic skills to build upon. With practice, the fundamentals get ingrained into your muscle memory. Once that happens, a pro can help you progress to the next level.

Same with bonsai.

Thanks, appreciate your elaboration on the concept. Rest assured when I poke an elder it will be with a blunt stick and always be sincere. Consider it a respite from all the brain picking.

Top Bottom