Looking for my annual big purchase

There is the Bonsai Learning Center outside of Charlotte... I haven't been there since the previous owner had it over a decade ago, but I always buy from them at the Carolina expo in October - great guys work there, seem to have a lot of stuff, but I do not know what they have in the range you are looking for...
I have been to their second location- their private residence- and they had quite a few trees of various stages but nothing really had price tags which irritated me. I hate having to bother and ask for the price on something unless I am certain I want it.

I would like to visit their other location though.

Check with Don Blackmond Gregory Beach Bonsai. I know he has some killer satsuki... and many many other things.
Yes! Totally agree. Don has great stuff and very helpful.

No shows that I know of until fall, but something I didnt think about.

When this semester is over, I might be able to work more and save up for a nice little JWP. But until then, I want something to satisfy my tree cravings. You know, some instant gratification in a sloowww hobby ;).

One of the better shows in the Maryland, D.C., Va. and N.C. area, the Potomac Bonsai Association Show and Sale, is coming up May 13-15 at the National Arboretum in Washington D.C.

Don't know how far a drive that is for you, but if you're looking for something at the next level, I'd recommend going. Their vendor area typically has more than a few really nice (and mostly affordable--under $300 or so) "finished" and raw stock trees. There are more than a few N.C. license plates in the parking lot all weekend...
http://www.potomacbonsai.com/

I have my mind made up on what Im looking for, but of course I could make exceptions under certain circumstances.

I'd like either a Trident maple, Japanese maple, or an azalea In the exposed root, clump, or sumo shohin style.

Three uncommon styles.

I have my mind made up on what Im looking for, but of course I could make exceptions under certain circumstances.

I'd like either a Trident maple, Japanese maple, or an azalea In the exposed root, clump, or sumo shohin style.

Three uncommon styles.
Don Blackmond

The had to be barerooted to get them in the country!

Are you saying all trees that are imported come in bare roots?
Azaleas brought into the country by a U.S. seller have to be barerooted as I understand it too. Their roots may also be fumigated. The process is aimed at preventing spread of disease not to save money. In fact, this process is very costly in terms of lost and damaged stock and that risk is part of the high price tags on imported trees. Some importers have been designated as quarantine stations, receiving bare rooted stock from Japan and holding the trees for their two year quarantine period in U.S. facilities. This takes a toll, especially with some less vigorous varieties.
http://satsukibonsai-en.com/imports.htm

Again, if I were you, I would make a trip to D.C. in May to the PBA show. David Kreutz of Satsuki Bonsai-En has been a regular vendor at the event for years and typically has a number of exposed root azaleas. Bill Valavanis is usually there too, along with Meehans. There are usually more than a few bargains on quality stock from the sellers, for MUCH MUCH less than you're going to pay online.

I don't know exactly which vendors are going to be at the PBA show this year, as the American Bonsai Society has a learning symposium in Chicago the same weekend. That may draw some of the higher end sellers, but I don't really know. Regardless, you'd be doing yourself a favor by seeing trees in person. Spending a lot of $$ on a tree you've only seen on the Internet is not ideal, although you can't go wrong with Don Blackmond.

There is no better way to buy a tree than seeing it in person before committing, and supporting a local vendor. Unfortunately, that is not always possible or practical. Some people don't have local vendors, or the time and expense of traveling to get there make the purchase very expensive. Unfortunately, there is a reason there are not many bonsai nurseries in the US.

There is no better way to buy a tree than seeing it in person before committing, and supporting a local vendor. Unfortunately, that is not always possible or practical. Some people don't have local vendors, or the time and expense of traveling to get there make the purchase very expensive. Unfortunately, there is a reason there are not many bonsai nurseries in the US.
I completely agree. The reason I mentioned the PBA sale is that it's arguably local, and it brings most of the good east coast bonsai folks into one place. Typically, you can expect people like Bill Valavanis, Jim Doyle at Nature's Way, Ron Lang and other notable potters, etc. The vendor list is usually pretty solid.

Additionally, the National Arb's bonsai collection is a bucket list must see for anyone doing bonsai in the U.S. The exhibition buildings are steps away from the vendor tent. There are also hundreds of bonsai folk milling about to talk with (or make a deal with on spare or excess trees). It's a big bang for the free admission.

Looked up the link @rockm shared...the gallery had some impressive trees. This ROR was impressively done. I'm sure the price tag was suited to the quality as well.

View attachment 101161
I bought an imported Azalea from Dave two years ago at the PBA show. I haven't regretted it.
http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/pba-azalea.11137/
His trees are spectacular and all are Japanese imports. Some are jaw dropping and cost thousands. The mame and shohin sizes are also terrific. Most are under $500. Personally, the neagari-style trees Kruez had (and they were all excellent) paled in comparison to the more substantial single trunked specimens that cost less...
http://satsukibonsai-en.com/trees.htm

I completely agree. The reason I mentioned the PBA sale is that it's arguably local, and it brings most of the good east coast bonsai folks into one place. Typically, you can expect people like Bill Valavanis, Jim Doyle at Nature's Way, Ron Lang and other notable potters, etc. The vendor list is usually pretty solid.

Additionally, the National Arb's bonsai collection is a bucket list must see for anyone doing bonsai in the U.S. The exhibition buildings are steps away from the vendor tent. There are also hundreds of bonsai folk milling about to talk with (or make a deal with on spare or excess trees). It's a big bang for the free admission.
I would really love to attend but I think my spring semester's classes run through May and I doubt I could miss that much time.

Back
Top Bottom