Looking for a sumo Jabba the hut/Hershey Kiss trunk based in the USA

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Right...and I wanted a tree that growls when you walk by it. Just one...everyone deserves one. Yes?
I know you already have this... b u t . . . maybe with your connections (or if @Cajunrider can find one) you could see if someone could collect a very wide base but short BC and chop it super low. You know what, I have around 15 seedlings growing this year, I guess and experiment is in order. LOL Lets see how wide I can make one of them grow in a custom made tub.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I know you already have this... b u t . . . maybe with your connections (or if @Cajunrider can find one) you could see if someone could collect a very wide base but short BC and chop it super low. You know what, I have around 15 seedlings growing this year, I guess and experiment is in order. LOL Lets see how wide I can make one of them grow in a custom made tub.
Like this one that Joe has? Every time I see it I can see a water moccasin coiling right inside the hollow. It may now growl at you but it can hiss and show off some good fangs. I have been meaning to make a few just like that. I figure I can chop low the trees collected last year and have already developed enough roots to survive. Then I'll develop a few leaders and carve the trunk to look like it has been broken by hurricanes.
Warning: After development, the tree will have to be potted in inorganic substrate and slow down the growth, otherwise it will lose its form in a hurry.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea. Since I've been meaning to do this, I think I will do one very soon. How about this honking BC for the base? Collected last year, it is very healthy now and I can chop it to 7". Once I select a few leaders, the tree will be carved down to 3" to make a hollow. This will make this one a special one among my BCs.

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've no desire to have another bald cypress. I pondered a grafted knee at one time. And passed. It was really cool too. But...I wish for my small BC to stand alone for that species on my bench.

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe you could collect your own. I dug this hawthorn on our property this spring and it has now pushed out a lot of branches. If it is healthy next year, I expect to do some carving and reducing the height. It is 23 inches in circumference at the base.Haw.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very nice! Love the gnarly bark!
Yes, that's what is one of the cool features of the Bog Monster too.

Also video on Instagram...https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cvk1ExkPdIh/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
Screenshot_20230805_135226_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230805_160835_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20230805_132624_Gallery.jpg

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
You all twisted my arm...and I bit the bullet and went with an olive. Because, I'm being told...it's going to be hard to find anyone get off a trunk that I was wanting.
View attachment 501026View attachment 501027
Looks like it came from M3Bonsai..on Ebay right? I bought stuff from him before, pretty nice guy.

Mike Westervelt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, that's what is one of the cool features of the Bog Monster too.

Also video on Instagram...https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cvk1ExkPdIh/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
Looks even better in the video! Very nice. Plus I learned about mission olives. :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
U make me wanna get a fat olive now too lol. Nice tree!
Thanks! Honestly...my Ryusen had me scared I couldn't lift it. It's not my Ryusen. Quite easily manageable. To the point I laughed when I picked up the box. That almost kept me from the purchase. But...dude...nothing quite like seeing a chunk of olive in the flesh. Nothing quite like it at all.

I had no bench space for it...but I did have a rusty ol' milk can.
Screenshot_20230806_020747_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230806_020737_Gallery.jpg

Once those branches get wired horizontal... 🥰
20230805_184931.jpg

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That’s going to be an awesome project, can’t wait to see what you do with it. I love your ryusen too, I’ve been keeping my eye out for a good one to train.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That’s going to be an awesome project, can’t wait to see what you do with it. I love your ryusen too, I’ve been keeping my eye out for a good one to train.
Thanks. Yes, looking forward to developing that Olive.

That Ryusen...a few years back I couldn't lift it. But...that said. I've become addicted to 7 day a week workouts. I moved it with ease...into the greenhouse from incoming severe storms with threatening hail. 💪 it actually...shocked me. Because a few years ago. No...I couldn't get it from its perch out back into the greenhouse on my own. I manhandled it for repotting. To yesterday...noted, heavy booger. But with ease moved it. What a wonderful accomplishment. 😎

Top Bottom