Latest rustic concrete creation

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Here's my latest draped pot creation. Half bath towel soaked in concrete slurry ( 1 part portland cement and 2 parts play sand) and draped over the bottom of 5 gal pail. Once dried, I removed the pot and slathered on a thicker concrete mixture inside and out. It dried for 3-4 days and soaked for 3-4 days. I blended the colors.......black on the bottom and dark blue on top with some lighter blue highlights on the raised areas. I built it specifically for my 5" diameter yaupon holly. Cost: half an unused bath towel and maybe 50 cents worth of concrete and sand. Most any pot this size would be from $50 - $150.

unnamed (3).jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Very cool.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Probably wouldn't make the cut in a national show. LOL! Not that I have anything worthy for a national show. I have a few trees that I think deserve a really nice pot, but with 70 trees, I can't in good conscience spend the thousands of dollars it would take to put them all in really nice pots. I don't even want to know how much a pot would cost that would fit the Bald Cypress I have with a 12" base!

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I need to try some of these. I need about 12 pots for my azaleas when I pot them this spring to get them out of there nursery pots.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I need to try some of these. I need about 12 pots for my azaleas when I pot them this spring to get them out of there nursery pots.

A little heads-up. I suggest using an old, worn-out bath towel instead of a plush, thick, new one. You want something with a coarse, open weave so the concrete has something to cling to. If you use a plush fabric, the water from the slurry soaks in but not the concrete, giving poor results. I've never tried it, but I'd bet burlap would really work well.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Do you pre cut the shapes and the drain hole or do it after?

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Do you pre cut the shapes and the drain hole or do it after?

I do pre-cut the shapes. The fabric stretches when wetted out, so a bit more trimming is usually necessary. You'll be thankful you used the thinner fabric! Drain holes are drilled after drying with a cheap set of diamond hole saws......about $15-$20 on Amazon.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Got the hole saws. Guess all I need is hitting up the thrift store for some cheep used towels. Guess they will be terra cotta color thats the color additive I have.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
A little heads-up. I suggest using an old, worn-out bath towel instead of a plush, thick, new one. You want something with a coarse, open weave so the concrete has something to cling to. If you use a plush fabric, the water from the slurry soaks in but not the concrete, giving poor results. I've never tried it, but I'd bet burlap would really work well.

In all honesty, the towel will not supply any strength to the pot, it will be likely to crack in half when moved around. Instead of cloth, fiberglass mesh from auto repair or boat repair kit, or wire mesh would add strength. Mold the wire mesh like you would the old towel. the result can be quite similar, freeform and will have more strength.

Any time the walls of the pot are less than 4 inches (10 cm) this is considered a thin application for concrete, and reinforcement to prevent flexing when moving the pot around is critical. It is okay to try to build thinner walls, you simply must include reinforcement. Wire mesh, and fiber glass are proven materials. Organic fibers, like burlap, towels, newspaper, etc stretch when pulled. Wire and fiber glass resist stretching.

Fibers,, sold specifically to blend into concrete look like little plastic bow ties or plastic '' I - beams" but are less than an inch in over all length. Unfortunately they come in huge bags, and as a hobby pot maker you would only use a few handfuls per 100 pound of concrete mix or mortar mix. If you only use sand and cement, it is a mortar mix, Concrete is sand, gravel and cement paste.

After the project has set a week, any of the plastic fibers that protrude from the surface can be sanded off with sand paper, or sand blasted off the surface.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Well, all of that may be true, but I have a dozen pots in use for 3 years using my method and I have no problems so far. It's hard to argue with success...........but some still do.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fiber Mesh is a time proven reinforcement for thin concrete walls. Small bags are sold on Amazon. The original was fiber glass but now there is a nylon version as well. Both types can be burned off the surface with a propane torch to eliminate sanding. I used this about a dozen years ago on about 200 hypertuffa pots of various shapes and sizes. Prior to that I used fiber mesh as an additive to parge block walls and various other projects like patching holes in concrete and block.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Well, all of that may be true, but I have a dozen pots in use for 3 years using my method and I have no problems so far. It's hard to argue with success...........but some still do.

Sorry, for what ever reason I was thinking this was one of your first attempts. Never mind.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Forgot to mention that the various latex fortifiers are really good for this type of work too. You can find them everywhere.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Forgot to mention that the various latex fortifiers are really good for this type of work too. You can find them everywhere.
Yeah, there are several ways to build with concrete that will make pots more durable. I was just after quick and simple. I'm a simple guy.....duuuhhhhhhh. LOL!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, there are several ways to build with concrete that will make pots more durable. I was just after quick and simple. I'm a simple guy.....duuuhhhhhhh. LOL!
Yeah, I get it. I like it simple too. But sometimes I have to slap my forehead with a Duhhh.....

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m thinking of trying a creation out of auto repair fibreglass . There are 2 main reasons . One it will be light . 2 it will be waterproof . Up here in the frozen north . I’m yet to see a cement / concrete creation survive more than a couple years freezing in the winter . Even pottery has to be stoneware . But I feel the pain about larger pots . Almost un available made in Canada . And international shipping costs are insane since Covid . Example . X mass present from daughter . Bonsai book could have been shipped anywhere in continental USA for 9 $ But 75 miles accruals the border was 3 times the price of the book . 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

12 pots times a realistic $40 each is $480........depending on the size. It wouldn't be hard to go twice that for really nice pots. You could probably do those twenty in concrete for less than $20 and still have materials left over for other pots.

Top Bottom