Landscape Lagerstroemia

pkTheory

Seedling
Reaction score
Here is a Lagerstroemia indica that I cut back in November and pruned its roots. Its not exactly collected from the wild but I dug it up and put it in a training pot a few days ago.

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi pk,

What are the plans for it? It has a great nebari but the three trucks lack taper. Have you considered making it into a small tree utilizing the base and re-growing an apex and branches?

Best,
Kirk

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I agree. I'd pick a trunk or maybe two and hack that bad boy back. It will send out a TON of new shoots come spring time.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love the base of the trunk, but if it were mine, I'd cut those branches at least half as short as they are now and add some movement to them. If you are ambitious, you might consider air-layering those trunks and ending up with a couple of more trees.

pkTheory

Seedling
Reaction score
@Kirk -I plan on air layering the three trunks and creating taper with subsequent growth this summer, it has some beautiful nebari just below the soil surface already. @Dav4 -No freezing temps here yet on the Savannah river.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So will you keep it as a triple trunk? If cut at the right place, I think it could be a nice one. This should be a lot of fun.

pkTheory

Seedling
Reaction score
that's the plan- I have no virt skills if someone with them could slap some ideas up there with three trunks id appreciate it

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Regarding freezing, they do fine in the landscape with freezes. In pots I know they have a little twig dieback in freezes, but the roots ought to be fine. I currently have 3 crapes in cement mixing tubs sitting on the ground. We're expecting some light freezes this weekend and I doubt I'm going to move them ...since each of them are larger than the one posted and cumbersome to move. I think they'll do fine, though its wise to protect from hard freezes.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Regarding freezing, they do fine in the landscape with freezes. In pots I know they have a little twig dieback in freezes, but the roots ought to be fine. I currently have 3 crapes in cement mixing tubs sitting on the ground. We're expecting some light freezes this weekend and I doubt I'm going to move them ...since each of them are larger than the one posted and cumbersome to move. I think they'll do fine, though its wise to protect from hard freezes.

I advised the protection from freezing only because it was recently collected.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I advised the protection from freezing only because it was recently collected.

And excellent advice it is!

Somehow that fact escaped me when I was posting. I stand by my advice ...but maybe for next year.

Top Bottom