M. Rectangle umber body with Midwestern landscape

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The glaze on this one is a landscape found in Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, Illinois. If you're a pond lover then you'll identify with this scene. Both sides show different time of the day and location. I was amazed at this simple double glaze....Start at $75.00 (not because of the scene... a few similar in size and design sold at Fresno Yard Sale at twice this price!!) $12.00 shipping. Ends Thursday Nov 30th Midnight and ship Friday, Dec 1st.IMG_0291.jpeg copy.jpgIMG_0287.jpegIMG_0288.jpegIMG_0290.jpegIMG_0291.jpegIMG_0289.jpeg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The glaze on this one is a landscape found in Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, Illinois. If you're a pond lover then you'll identify with this scene. Both sides show different time of the day and location. I was amazed at this simple double glaze....Start at $75.00 (not because of the scene... a few similar in size and design sold at Fresno Yard Sale at twice this price!!) $12.00 shipping. Ends Thursday Nov 30th Midnight and ship Friday, Dec 1st.View attachment 518876View attachment 518877View attachment 518878View attachment 518879View attachment 518880View attachment 518881
Nice glaze effect, Like the muted tones.

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thanks Frank glad you like it it was an experiment and fortunately it came out as a delight!

Having spent my youth in and around lakes and bogs I could not help but to “see” the landscape in this work… of course I also am a landscape artist.. my paintings are at:
www.saatchi-art.com. vance hanna

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
ORIGIN OF IDEA.....

What's amazing is that I've always been attracted to the traditional Chinese pots with a 'landscape' with their typically illustrated line drawings which are then colored in, granted they're a symbolic view of nature, but here I've created a more impressionistic sketch in color. It really hit me as an idea when I saw a pickup truck's tail gate with a film of dirt on it( that was quite similar to this landscape painting that I created here!) and it really was incredible!

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
A exquisite glaze IMO, a deal at twice the price. Bump and good luck!

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Apex37 and gang: I totally agree! I have so many pots over the years that I have purchased and absolutley love them, everything from Japanese pots that I got when visiting there back about 20yrs ago to Chinese (same visit) and others simply could not stand it and had to have it...sort of deal.
Once when visiting John Naka back about 30+yrs ago (He'd been to the FSBC of MI 2 x earlier in the 70's) he had a back yard full of pots!! all under his benches and such. Reason: to ''render them or let them age naturally with the weather/sun etc." ok, cool so that is pretty much what I do too! That way you get to enjoy seeing them and occasionally I'll pick one up and just experience it.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Apex37 and gang: I totally agree! I have so many pots over the years that I have purchased and absolutley love them, everything from Japanese pots that I got when visiting there back about 20yrs ago to Chinese (same visit) and others simply could not stand it and had to have it...sort of deal.
Once when visiting John Naka back about 30+yrs ago (He'd been to the FSBC of MI 2 x earlier in the 70's) he had a back yard full of pots!! all under his benches and such. Reason: to ''render them or let them age naturally with the weather/sun etc." ok, cool so that is pretty much what I do too! That way you get to enjoy seeing them and occasionally I'll pick one up and just experience it.
This is exactly my plan with my pots! In fact, this was more or less the topic of one of my first posts here. One of the takeaways was to break the habit of planning to get a specific pot for a specific tree, and instead build a "catalog" of pots that give me options at repot time. Almost all my trees will be in developmental containers for a few years anyway.

I don't have a particular tree in mind for this one, but it's a size and shape I don't have. I'd be happy to have this pot sit on my bench for years just to look at it!

Missed this post! Lovely pot! Maybe a larch? 🧐.
A larch would fit the landscape very well. I don't have one in my collection, but I have a Thuja that I think would work well as well.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is exactly my plan with my pots! In fact, this was more or less the topic of one of my first posts here. One of the takeaways was to break the habit of planning to get a specific pot for a specific tree, and instead build a "catalog" of pots that give me options at repot time. Almost all my trees will be in developmental containers for a few years anyway.

I don't have a particular tree in mind for this one, but it's a size and shape I don't have. I'd be happy to have this pot sit on my bench for years just to look at it!

A larch would fit the landscape very well. I don't have one in my collection, but I have a Thuja that I think would work well as well.
I have seen some very nice Red Chojubai in pots with similar tones. Some of Michael Hagedorn's own original pots have similar tones and his Chojubai look amazing in them! The depth would work well for established Chojubai that like a bit more depth than some species. particularly the early winter view with the red flowers and mostly bare branching! Just a thought that occurred when considering the pot and its uses! A bit larger more developed clump with a bit of spread.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well done on the glaze and landscape design elements….from a serious pond dweller.
Mighty fine bonsai pot creativity.

Top Bottom