Kozan Satsuki

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Tree looks really nice, Judy! Regarding getting the colors of the flowers to show...are you using an auto white balance or setting the camera to one of its predefined lighting options? If so, you might want to try using the white balance option if your camera has it (basically you put a pure white object in the spot where the tree will be, and set the white balance off that). Not every camera has that option. Other possibilities - most cameras have options to adjust the sensitivity to various colors, so you could set it to be more sensitive to red if the flowers have a reddish or pinkish tint. The last option, which I sometimes have to use even after doing the above, is simply adjust the color of the flowers in a photo editing program after the fact.
Thanks Chris, my camera isn't hip enough for that, I just use the aperture priority on a point and shoot. It either takes good pics of the flowers, and the trunk gets lost or the other way round. I can't get a good shot that shows both off. It's probably my lighting, and I could do better if I had a low side light on it.
Thanks for the info. Glad you like it! How are your trees doing after that crazy winter/spring?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ah yes, those point and shoots don't have many options :) Maybe your cell phone camera has more features? I have a Canon powershot SX530HS which isn't all that expensive (less than $300) and has all the manual settings and white balance options (more than I'll ever use). It takes decent pics for the price but even after all the adjustments to the camera, I still often have to adjust the photos after. And it is still tough at times to get everything looking good as I don't have a good light setup, often the canopy is well lit but the trunk is too dark (or vice versa).

This winter wasn't so bad here, we had that brutal cold snap in late December and then of course the cold, delayed spring. It did save me a lot of time as I didn't have to haul trees in and out of storage - they stayed dormant until after the last frost with only a couple of exceptions. Of course everything is behind schedule, for instance the black pine candles are not very far along. But the weather has been mostly mild and dry for the past few weeks which has been nice.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
wow it's jaw dropping
Thanks! It is one of the few large ones that I've just got to keep...
Some real beauts you have Judy! It's always a joy to open your threads and have a peak.
I've really enjoyed moving into flowering trees more and more.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
GORGEOUS! I love how the roots appear to be fighting each other for the best stronghold.
i love how strong it is but the flowers make it sweet too. I brought it inside today for a couple days, and it almost doesn’t look real.😮

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did comment on the pot on another post, I believe. I didn't feel comfortable with the bit of an exaggerated lip. I went back and noted BvF's comment regarding a somewhat similar view.....

...don't really matter much to me, I mean, I just offered to buy a tree a drink!!…..yes, you can come to chaperone!🥴:D:D:D:D

Top Bottom