Koto Hime Maple Progression

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So,are these being girdled by the heavy wire for new roots?
nope. all 5 were uppotted almost identically to post #46, in varying degrees of wrappage, depending how i wanted the roots to look in the future.

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i took these cuttings in late may/early june '19 from the the shoots that had come out in spring. i used clonex gel, stuck them in my regular bonsai soil, put them in a see through tote, and misted them till i saw new growth.
in full sun, full shad or somewhere in the middle?

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
in full sun, full shad or somewhere in the middle?
the tote was shaded the whole time. once i saw new growth coming out, i moved them to full sun. though full sun here is not the same as everywhere else. i always have cloudy days and rainy weather being close to the coast. shit, i just noticed you're in london. probably get less sun than me 😊

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the tote was shaded the whole time. once i saw new growth coming out, i moved them to full sun. though full sun here is not the same as everywhere else. i always have cloudy days and rainy weather being close to the coast. shit, i just noticed you're in london. probably get less sun than me 😊
yes mate thats a safe bet... 😄 ... thanks and nice progression you have going with these well done 👍

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
fall color is pretty good this year. snipped a couple branches on the cuttings that weren't going to help the sacrifice branch elongate next year. just looking for trunk thickening right now so I'm not cutting much of anything.

20211130_114910.jpg20211130_115014.jpg20211130_115041.jpg

ibakey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very cool thread for the rest of us watching in. Love the clear pictures and your thoughts on them. Awesome!

when was the last time you worked on the roots of the main tree?

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This has been a great progression! Thank you for all the updates.

I picked up my first koto hime a couple weeks ago and repotting went great. I'm in 8a, but I have a feeling my summers are a little drier than yours. When do yours get sun from and till? I'm trying to think of where to set mine up at.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As far as JM's go, Koto are pretty sun-tolerant. I'm so far north of you, I get away with nearly the entire day in full sun for most of the year. Hottest time of the year I move it to shade by 11, 11:30......

Texas? Probably get some shade by eleven! Pretty thirsty, even for a JM...keep it hydrated.

@Apex37 , if it doesn't work out at first, it seems "someone" is crankin' out lot's of Koto material!!;):D:D:D:D:D

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm in 8a, but I have a feeling my summers are a little drier than yours. When do yours get sun from and till? I'm trying to think of where to set mine up at.
i have them in full sun from sun up till a couple hours past high noon when they start getting shade from the big trees in the yard west of my tables. they also get full wind all day. it's hitting 70 during the day, so I'm watering everyday already.

Top Bottom