Kintsugi Pot Repair

I like the string added to the handle, will it remain when the repair is complete?

I like the string added to the handle, will it remain when the repair is complete?
I'll smooth it down considerably, the string's fibrous material is what I'm after to create a strong bond. Eventually, it'll look like a band around the handle.

Nice job! I have Jim Flanagan pot similar to this one. Really like the Southwestern designs on them. Glad you reconstructed it.
Thank you! I got a chance to see him at the PBA show, he explained his design concepts to me and I showed the repaired piece to him and he was quite content in seeing it being repaired.

The cup handle is officially cured and rock hard. I had sanded down the mugi-urushi string reinforcement to reveal the string fibrous material very secured into the mugi-urushi. It's now very hard and able to take on quite a bit of weight. So far, the tested weight is 10 lbs. That's pretty substantial and enough for this cup since nothing will be in the cup that'll be 10 lbs or more.

Here's what sanding revealed. The string has bounded to itself and to the mugi-urushi.
1718170362084.png

The are more frayed fibers but I've burned it off to keep things tidy for the next step.
1718170432561.png

The underside was a bit harder to sand. I left the underside a bit more bulky for support, less sanding than the top.
1718170487474.png

Fairly uniform, the string is going to provide a great amount of support. Note the ight side is curved a bit, I sanded it a bit too much and will have to come back with filler anyway to level it out. No worries.
1718170545475.png

Next step would be to tape this back up and reapply sabi-urushi to bind the entire top together before I buff the area out with charcoal. Should look pretty good! Going to bring this to work to show my coworker the work in progress.

The cup handle is officially cured and rock hard. I had sanded down the mugi-urushi string reinforcement to reveal the string fibrous material very secured into the mugi-urushi. It's now very hard and able to take on quite a bit of weight. So far, the tested weight is 10 lbs. That's pretty substantial and enough for this cup since nothing will be in the cup that'll be 10 lbs or more.

Here's what sanding revealed. The string has bounded to itself and to the mugi-urushi.
View attachment 551667

The are more frayed fibers but I've burned it off to keep things tidy for the next step.
View attachment 551668

The underside was a bit harder to sand. I left the underside a bit more bulky for support, less sanding than the top.
View attachment 551669

Fairly uniform, the string is going to provide a great amount of support. Note the ight side is curved a bit, I sanded it a bit too much and will have to come back with filler anyway to level it out. No worries.
View attachment 551670

Next step would be to tape this back up and reapply sabi-urushi to bind the entire top together before I buff the area out with charcoal. Should look pretty good! Going to bring this to work to show my coworker the work in progress.
Are you going to cover the string or treat it with something for coloration? I like the texture it adds.

Are you going to cover the string or treat it with something for coloration? I like the texture it adds.
Yeah, I'm going to cover it up. The texture is pretty cool. I've seen a lot of examples where the texture is preserved too. I'll have to see how it looks once I polish it down with charcoal.

I've applied the sabi urushi on to fill in all the string but before I did that, I did put on a layer of raw urushi to let the string soak it all in. Doing this I think will help with strengthening the structure. Mugi urushi as an adhesive doesn't really soak into the string as you see on the previous step. It's like impregnating the string with the urushi to ensure it doesn't also grow moldy and deteriorate.

Here is the added filler material on.
1718822089636.png

1718822301183.png

Next step, is wait a few days to let this cure and peel off all the tape to reveal the filled in areas.

Few days later, tape was removed. Fairly accurate tape job.
1718822392360.png

Sanding down commences
1718822415908.png

1718822432690.png

1718822465337.png

The edges are fairly high, what ended up happening was i sanded it some more and the thresholds for transitioning from cup to the repair is as low as possible.
1718822492779.png

Next step is to apply polishing urushi to fill in all the ridges.

Painting day! I love this part of the process because it really validates the previous steps.
1718822710068.png

1718822734639.png

1718822755364.png

I'll come back in and use 400-600 grit and refine those edges as well as those ridges. Then I'll add another layer of polishing Urushi. The goal for me is to get it to be smooth without indication of any ridging. More to come!

After this repair, I'll keep it focused it on just bonsai pots haha.
maybe I could send you my pot that was done with epoxy to see what you might be able to do for it… warning, it’s a lot of seams! 😉

After a few more rounds of polish and sanding, I'm ready to call it done before I apply the lacquer for gilding. I gave it a lot of thought @JudyB about your comment about the texture. I think you're right that texture adds something to this repair. I asked the owner and he said he's up for anything. I gave it more thought and wanted to try the texture idea. I didn't want to use the ribbed texture, although, I think that'd be a great texture for gripping. I wanted it to be organic like the cup design. It dawned on me that the lacquer itself can create some naturally interesting designs.

Generally speaking, this is a taboo no no when it comes to kintsugi repair, mainly because it shows impatience. Basically, if you load up polishing lacquer and you apply it to the surface, if the outside lacquer cures quickly, it'll contract within and create these very weird striations. They're not always the same striations, but it's in general a wrinkly looking texture. So it shows that you can't control lacquer application and, you can't control the humidity well enough. Amateur hour, if you will. However, if you're intentionally doing so to get an effect, this is an awesome technique.

1720727111902.png

1720727131386.png

I can't wait to see what it looks like gilded.

After a few more rounds of polish and sanding, I'm ready to call it done before I apply the lacquer for gilding. I gave it a lot of thought @JudyB about your comment about the texture. I think you're right that texture adds something to this repair. I asked the owner and he said he's up for anything. I gave it more thought and wanted to try the texture idea. I didn't want to use the ribbed texture, although, I think that'd be a great texture for gripping. I wanted it to be organic like the cup design. It dawned on me that the lacquer itself can create some naturally interesting designs.

Generally speaking, this is a taboo no no when it comes to kintsugi repair, mainly because it shows impatience. Basically, if you load up polishing lacquer and you apply it to the surface, if the outside lacquer cures quickly, it'll contract within and create these very weird striations. They're not always the same striations, but it's in general a wrinkly looking texture. So it shows that you can't control lacquer application and, you can't control the humidity well enough. Amateur hour, if you will. However, if you're intentionally doing so to get an effect, this is an awesome technique.

View attachment 557246

View attachment 557247

I can't wait to see what it looks like gilded.
Love it. It adds instead of distracts.

Back
Top Bottom