KIFU TRIDENT MAPLE

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What fert baskets are you using? These don’t look like the top open ones I use, sometimes I wonder if contact with the soil is better than just going thru the small basket holes, so wonder if these are just some kind of cover?
I think the tree is very nice, some randomness will make it more interesting for sure.

Judy, I use these: https://bonsaiunlimited.com/collections/bonsai-supplies/products/lidless-fertilizer-holder

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Now all cleaned up and ready to be put into winter storage. This is by far the slowest growing tree I have in the collection. Notice the internodes how dense and tight they are. If I am lucky, I get one inch of total growth in those areas that I need to extend.

I do not know what cultivar this may be? I thought that perhaps that the branches were grafted on, but the buds that pop from the trunk have the same growth habit.

Here are a couple of summer photos. The tree gets very dense and in need to thinning on a timely basis.

IMG_6360.jpg

E4B00BD8-F2F2-49E0-8761-F94DCE8E1CED.JPG

Winter photos taken yesterday. Wired a couple of smaller branches but a difficult thing to do since buds can get damaged easily in the process. Eventually it will go into a smaller pot.

IMG_0511 copy.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

Back of tree.

IMG_0499.jpg

Detail of a large scar that is healing. A slow process with this one. This is the tree I used as my subject for this thread: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/closing-wounds.47757/

IMG_0496.jpg

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I love these slow ones, they are certainly their own breed. They are easy to get small leaves, and from my experience have better fall and spring color. Good to use for shohin! Apex looking really nice!
Lots of good development all around now that I go back to look at the starting photos!

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I love how squat and powerful it is.

Just out of curiosity, do you know approximately how old the tree is? I would think that it must be 70-80 years old at least but what do I know :)

Great, great tree! Hope to have a maple this nice on my bench some day!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I love these slow ones, they are certainly their own breed. They are easy to get small leaves, and from my experience have better fall and spring color. Good to use for shohin! Apex looking really nice!
Lots of good development all around now that I go back to look at the starting photos!

Thanks Judy. Yes, real slow with this one. I was able to get enough extension on the lower branches and allow me to play a bit with them. Originally the overall silhouette was too symmetrical for my taste so pushing out the one one the right and shortening the one on the left since it also sits a bit further back on the tree.

Too big for shohin unfortunately but I am ok with that. But perhaps a good subject for a three point display?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I love how squat and powerful it is.

Just out of curiosity, do you know approximately how old the tree is? I would think that it must be 70-80 years old at least but what do I know :)

Great, great tree! Hope to have a maple this nice on my bench some day!

Thanks TJ! I love the exaggerated proportions on this one as well. I don't have anything like it in the garden and forces me to think differently when working with it.

I do not know how old it may be? By the look of its growth rate I'd say quite old? The branches are super gnarly and very stiff!!

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
There's something about this branch (w/ arrow pointing to it) that bothers me. If I'm reading the picture correctly, its going to the back of the tree, but in silhouette, it appears to be a prime target for adding some irregularity to the silhouette by shortening it by about half. Also, the other branches in that area seem to exit the trunk at a different angle ...but that's also close to where the branches transition to more upright angles.

And, obligatorily, this is admittedly picking nits. Its a gorgeous tree and obviously in very capable hands. I'm just trying to understand your thought process. Could you comment what you see in that branch?

Attachments

• serg-kifu-trident.jpeg
    serg-kifu-trident.jpeg
    41.7 KB · Views: 63

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
There's something about this branch (w/ arrow pointing to it) that bothers me. If I'm reading the picture correctly, its going to the back of the tree, but in silhouette, it appears to be a prime target for adding some irregularity to the silhouette by shortening it by about half. Also, the other branches in that area seem to exit the trunk at a different angle ...but that's also close to where the branches transition to more upright angles.

And, obligatorily, this is admittedly picking nits. Its a gorgeous tree and obviously in very capable hands. I'm just trying to understand your thought process. Could you comment what you see in that branch?

Thank you. Absolutely and entirely possible! Decisions on this tree have come slowly and need to be carefully considered. Even a short piece of branch may take 5 or more years to grow!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
And in this corner weighing.... 😂

I'd be worried about kifu trident! Don't let size fool you!!
Picturing it in a sumo ring with the weird underwear/diaper. Sorry to mess up your thread, over active imagination here.... awesome tree as usual.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Another awesome tree - and lots of questions on the root grafts (just realized what those pins are for). Is there a reason you use approach grafts instead of thread grafts? How big are the seedlings you are using/what kind of root mass? Looks like the graft can be done to existing nebari as well as to trunk? Can I use any cultivar Japanese maple scion for this? How much of the scion's trunk serves as the beginning of the new nebari? How do you know when to cut the scion off? And where do you get your seedlings?

Sorry for the flurry of questions, but learning that this is even possible is mind blowing.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Please see my responses below in red.

Is there a reason you use approach grafts instead of thread grafts?

Depending on the location, approach root grafts are easier to execute and avoids drilling though the trunk.

How big are the seedlings you are using/what kind of root mass?

Very young material. Usually two year old saplings. You don't want to work with very thick material as it makes root grafting more difficult and prone to fail.

Looks like the graft can be done to existing nebari as well as to trunk?

Yes, you can make root grafts on any part of the nebari including roots.

Can I use any cultivar Japanese maple scion for this?

Technically any plant of the acer genus can be grafted with others of the same genus. However, you want to keep it all within the same species as you want the roots to match with the rest of the existing nebari. In this case I obtained trident maple saplings (Acer buergerianum).

How much of the scion's trunk serves as the beginning of the new nebari?

None. Once it's grafted it is eventually cut off flush with the nebari right above the graft point. It will then heal over normally like any other cut.

How do you know when to cut the scion off?

Usually it is very obvious to the naked eye when the cambial layers have fused together. With maples it usually takes one growing season to complete the graft. Sometimes it may take longer. It really depends on several factors.

And where do you get your seedlings?

I usually buy them from Matt Ouwinga. Of course you can also grow your own if you have the time.

Hope this was helpful. Cheers!

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Very helpful. Much thanks

ibakey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Mach5, how’s this trident coming along? I’m interested to see if it flourished and became more vigorous under your care. The leaves looks like a miyasama. And perhaps it could be the dwarf version, the miyasama yatsubusa where it grows very slowly.

Top Bottom