Judy's elmelm

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Weed eater. I dont get too ckose with the rider to that area. Dont want to cut anything down. Of course it prob would just grow back stronger and uglier knowing elms.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Crazy how fast this thing grows! The leader was like an 1/8" this spring when i chopped it. Now its fully 3/4" and its not even in the best spot. A ton of sand in that area. If it was in some better soil in the ground i could only imagine

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Im thinking of not chopping it this year and really letting it put on some girth. I have decided that i have enough shohin trees. If its to be a shohin its gotta be pretty fantastic

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I took the opportunity to take a look a the roots. Trimmed some superfluous ones and some that were too large. I collected the root cuttings and potted them up. Never tried to grow them before. It’s getting a nice flare and decent trunk. I didn’t get a good pic of the root flare from soil level. Why are the roots so nice and radial? Because it’s planted on the sidewall of a concrete block. Had a bunch of them left from the people that lived here before. Lemonade you know.F08C3560-212A-400F-BD32-F4EF65E5269F.jpeg5F2AE645-ADA5-4CDB-AC67-836119176ECF.jpeg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What are your plans for this in the coming season? Looks like almost time to do the chop! Good work Drew.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
What are your plans for this in the coming season? Looks like almost time to do the chop! Good work Drew.
I am thinking of letting it go this year. I will take cuttings and possibly air layers. I want to have a 5"+ stonker. I don't think I need the taper that chopping it every year will provide for a tree that large. I am thinking of a 36" final height possibly. What do you think/suggest?

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I took the opportunity to take a look a the roots. Trimmed some superfluous ones and some that were too large. I collected the root cuttings and potted them up. Never tried to grow them before. It’s getting a nice flare and decent trunk. I didn’t get a good pic of the root flare from soil level. Why are the roots so nice and radial? Because it’s planted on the sidewall of a concrete block. Had a bunch of them left from the people that lived here before. Lemonade you know.View attachment 178788View attachment 178787
Damn I see some roots that are still crossing or aren't quite perfect. Time to go perfect them. Might as well since it will be left for the next year.

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you feel the stress of the hurricane brought on the larger leaves?
Some dwarf cultivars are originated by infections of phytoplasmas (see wich's broom here click,click), when the tree is healthy and strong enough to defeat the infeccion, appears the original specie. Maybe this is one of thoses cases.

Greetings

Top Bottom