Judy...or other northern folk...I need your thoughts

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
image.jpg image.jpg So I have read about buds starting to break on the forum...and back in December when we had the warm temps...I noticed my Kojo No Mai had swelling tips...(not all over though)

Now with that arctic air...my room did hit low 40's and I think I notice more swelling now. Is that going to be a problem with my wanting to repot this tree?

What steps should I do...allow it in the pot one more season? And hope for the best...or is this normal for some trees? (None of my other bonsai have this issue yet all have been in the same environment.)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 10

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Now I heard with cherry they are repotted after bloom...so I guess I just continue to be hopeful with this tree...I'm assuming the buds that prematurely are swollen...will be lost.

I think these trees have been confused since December...

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Don't have bonsai specific experience for you on cherry. Those look more like leaf buds to me. I have a chinese quince that continually buds up all winter, that even peeks the leaves. It does not seem to be a problem for C. quince. I cannot say if this will be a problem for your cherry. But it would appear that it may be staying too warm for too long for it to remain dormant. My Japanese maples in shallow pots are always the other tree trying to get a head start, I have to watch my temps carefully when they start to look like pushing. If you are just repotting to a larger or same size container, with little rootwork, then it won't be a problem. If you are changing soil, or need to work the roots hard, then you probably should try to do it before it leafs out.
Maybe set this one in a bit cooler spot for a bit and slow it down...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This tree was recently potted last year before it was sent to me...I had this pot made by Erin Pottery that I wanted to put it into. Is a bit smaller and a different shape. I could just attempt to slip pot it I reckon leaving it in the soil it's in?

...but I will go slip it onto the cooler side of the gazebo. Thanks for the tidbit Judy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 10

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
This is the challenge with keeping out-of-zone trees, and trying to overwinter them inside. I would leave the tree in your cold area to keep it slow, and wait as long as you can (until you can see leaf tips) before repotting...if it needs to be repotted.

The other challenge is acclimating that first flush of growth to wind and sun outside when it finally gets to go outside. When I lived in IA, I would just prune back to the first set of leaves upon setting the tree outside. This way, the resulting, new growth gets to emerge outside, and will require no transition to the outdoor environment.

Good luck.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Brian thanks for the info...I'm in a zone 5...and seen this to be zone friendly. Or are you suggesting when choosing trees it's important to not go outside your zone area? Because of the troubles that go along with it?

It doesn't have to be repotted...I would rather wait and hold off...then repot and lose it.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If it zone friendly then it is to warm. Chill it off for a few days and then take away light... It thinks it is Spring at 40f with sunlight ;)

Grimmy

Last edited:

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last year I had a maple in my cold frame that decided it was going to grow and didn't care. I kept it at 36, kept the light off. It grew leaves that were almost white. I brought it in the house and let it do it's thing. Sometimes you can do all you can to slow something down, but like a teenager, if it decides it's going to do something, it's hard to stop. When you see the leaves, it's too late to repot. Buds swelling is a different matter in my book.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I actually put a J. Maple that tried to get going before winter hit hard this year. Put it in the fridge for a couple weeks till the weather cooled off. It worked for the short term. Good thing it was my small one!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've a house full of kids coming to spend the weekend for a gaming party. So I don't think I trust them or would I have enough room for it with food and beverages for them. (If I only had a second fridge)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes I do have a second one, that's how I got away with it. Maybe a cooler for the kid party?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In the meantime...I'll focus on keeping it cool...opening the window when it's calling for warmer winter days...leaving cooler morning air into the room...and I lowered the tree under the shelf. Might look into putting black plastic over the widows next winter. (Behind the blinds)

Top Bottom