Pear (for Judy)

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I've had better years for color on this little (11-ish inch) pear, but Judy asked. :cool:

Attachments

• 11-14 b.JPG
    11-14 b.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 137

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice little tree...beautiful color. If it's had years even better than this...WOWSER! I bet it was a sight to behold. Still quite beautiful...thanks for sharing.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice indeed, I bet that Pear is the Apple of your eye. :D

ed

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
she's a beauty.

Thanks for once again sharing this lovely thing, I look forward to it each year. It is a wonderful tree, and the color is nice though understated for this tree, I kind of like the muted tones it has this year.

For those of you who don't know, I believe JKL raised this from a seedling off of his landscape tree. Makes it even more special. You can't see it too well in this photo, but it has a wonderful hollow that adds to the charm.
Thanks Jim.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Yes. In 1993, my wife, Jackie canned up a batch of pear relish (YUM). She threw the cores and skins, etc.out in the woods for the critters to feast on. Several of the seeds sprouted. This is the only one I have left, but others are still alive back in Tallahassee.

Thanks for the comments folks.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow. I really cant imagine this with BETTER color.

Friggin beautiful!

Sorce

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
This is from last year.

Attachments

• 11-13 color 1.jpg
    11-13 color 1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 55

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Don't you guys get Pear Rust over there? It infects junipers too so not many serious bonsai enthusiasts who have a lot of juniper grow pears for that reason.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Don't you guys get Pear Rust over there? It infects junipers too so not many serious bonsai enthusiasts who have a lot of juniper grow pears for that reason.

I didn't know that guess I'm not gonna be collecting pear I had my eye on

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I've had this (and other) pear for years, and have had very few pest problems. Certainly no rust. Knock on wood.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Maybe I'll just keep it on the other side of my yard then my junipers, because this pear I found look like it was ran over at one point and then grew back. Also do you do any preventative maintenance on this tree?

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
No preventive, anything. I have several junipers and they stay on my tables with all my other trees. I've never heard of anything attacking pears from junipers.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I was too lazy to take it back outside so it is on display for a few days. Losing leaves now, though.

Attachments

• 11-14 f.JPG
    11-14 f.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 32

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
No preventive, anything. I have several junipers and they stay on my tables with all my other trees. I've never heard of anything attacking pears from junipers.

Just for info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnosporangium_sabinae

It says European Pear Rust but useful info nonetheless to people reading this thread from across the pond.

Last edited:
Top Bottom