It's still only 30 degrees

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Is anybody else dealing with fully leafed out trees in freezing weather. My maple is really starting to look unhealthy and I'm not sure what to do. I've essentially been keeping it indoors 95% of the time because the weather has yet to rise above 35. I don't think it's going to make it. The leaves are all shriveling up and looking wilted. Any advice?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That's a tough situation. I'd try to keep it in a South facing window with AS MUCH LIGHT AS POSSIBLE! If it's been in leaf for awhile and it hasn't been receiving sunlight it'll start looking pretty bad. Make sure to keep the soil moist and maybe set up a desk fan to get some air flow. Not sure why the foliage is wilting other then possible root damage recently. Hope it perks up for you.

Aaron

BethF

Mame
Reaction score
This is experience from S.C., a much different climate from yours, so take it for what's it's worth: Last week we had below freezing temperatures for 3 or 4 consecutive nights. Daytime temperatures were cool with a strong breeze. Most of my maples had already leafed out and were actively growing. I put what I could into an unheated shed. They stayed there from Monday evening until Friday afternoon. A number of "science projects" remained outside due to lack of room. The trees in the shed were fine. The maples that were outside all suffered from some dessicated leaves, whether from cold, wind or both I don't know. No other leafed out species (elm, Chinese quince) had similar damage.

Maples are relatively cold hardy. They're probably are reacting to the lack of humidity, higher temperatures, and lack of air flow that occurs in a house. It's been weird weather this winter for all of us in the U.S. Aml1014 has good suggestions, but they will be at their best if you can find a way to keep them outside.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I am almost certain your problem is the combination of a lack of humidity and probably not kept watered enough. To give you an idea, I have several maples that are leafing out. I have kept them inside an unheated garage with temps around 35F for several days due to unrelenting frigid temps down to the teens. No problems at all withstanding this low temp (35F) even when leaves are coming out (or fully out) just as long as they don't freeze. The relative humidity in my unheated space tends to be close or same to the one outside. The only "adverse" effect is that trees become sluggish and almost come to a standstill until it warms up again but no damage at all to buds or leaves.

So generally speaking, it is a very bad idea to bring trees indoors (specifically inside a house) for more than a couple of days.

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
No I don't. And now I'm faced w the same dilemma 20 degrees tonight. I brought everything in tonight back out tomorrow. I'm watching all the leaves on my biggest JM slowly shrivel up. I have a bad feeling it's toast. It was far from a finished tree but the trunk size alone gave me high hopes for it in the future. Not happy. :(:mad: I'm just hoping to keep everything alive until true spring and hopefully some strong sun will strengthen them up. Fingers crossed.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No I don't. And now I'm faced w the same dilemma 20 degrees tonight. I brought everything in tonight back out tomorrow. I'm watching all the leaves on my biggest JM slowly shrivel up. I have a bad feeling it's toast. It was far from a finished tree but the trunk size alone gave me high hopes for it in the future. Not happy. :(:mad: I'm just hoping to keep everything alive until true spring and hopefully some strong sun will strengthen them up. Fingers crossed.
It may just be cosmetic...and naturally defoliating...and will releaf. Don't loose hope just yet. But if it loses its leaves. Remember it still needs water. Just not as much.

Reaction score
It looks like my area of Michigan is not going to get below night time lows of 35. I think this sunday I am going to put them out and see how they do. I left my trees out to December this last year couple night was down to 27. So I am thinking I should be ok unless it get below 35 then I will put them back in a safe spot.

Reaction score
Moving trees in and out is changing the growing conditions constantly (humidity and temp). Be careful. But letting them freeze is not the best option too. When having no other option i would place them on the ground, out of the wind and in the shade. You might have black tips on the leaves and even some branch tips dying back. Hope weather changes so you and the trees are happy.

Reaction score
Heres the question do I put them out let them get light and it is not going to be so windy the next few days with temp going to be around 70 tomorrow and 60's and 50's next 4 or 5 days. Lowest looks to be about 36 degrees. Or just leave them be where they are. Mind you that they are already growing since we have had a crazy winter and things woke up in febuary this year.

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If they are leafed out, the wind can be worse than the cold, decicating them. Mine are in the garage, evergreens will go out today, anything leafed out might have to be moved in and out of the garage at night. This might be the latest I've moved them out. I know young roots can take a mild freeze, that's my biggest concern though, root tips are showing growth the constant freeze/thaw can't be good.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If they are leafed out, the wind can be worse than the cold, decicating them. Mine are in the garage, evergreens will go out today, anything leafed out might have to be moved in and out of the garage at night. This might be the latest I've moved them out. I know young roots can take a mild freeze, that's my biggest concern though, root tips are showing growth the constant freeze/thaw can't be good.
I think I will put them out on Saturday and see how it goes. Evergreens should be fine I would think. I work next two days twelve hour days that's y not today. What do you think guy since our weather is pretty much the same maybe move the leaf ones in under 35 degrees or strong winds

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I actually bring my tree's inside my house when they leaf, during the cold. Last week when temps where freezing for over a week, they sat inside my house. I hooked up grow lights and I misted each tree 3 times a day and they did fine. It's going to be cold for 2 days so there back inside till friday when they'll go back out. Make sure they get misted and watered and you should be ok.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There are inexpensive humidifiers out there, you can put them on a simple light timer, to come on several times a day/night. I use them in the greenhouse and they work well.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Trees with leaves need light, and a lot of it... period. If it's above freezing and going to be close to 40 F or higher, get them outside. Otherwise, they need to be in a cool to cold place that won't freeze. As Mach pointed out, the ambient humidity in our heated homes falls off a cliff and will really put the new and delicate foliage to the test due to increased transpiration if they need to stay inside for long without artificially increasing the humidity.

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
[QUOTE="Kyleboldy2003, post: 438280, member: 20548What do you think guy since our weather is pretty much the same maybe move the leaf ones in under 35 degrees or strong winds[/QUOTE]

Agreed, evergreens should be fine, I don't see sub freezing temps in the extended forecast. Trees that have leafed out will need extended protection from wind and I would say anything under 40-45 degrees should go in the garage at night until the tender growth hardens off more. Bonsai Suffle/two step.

Top Bottom