Still in time to repot ?

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi there,

last year i forgot this tree into the gardenhouse, and seems that with this unusual warm weather the tree is really in advance compared to my other pines.
Since the soil is not so good I would repot, I am still in time to do it or it's too late? I also need to wire

20240309_173823.jpg20240309_173826.jpg20240309_173829.jpg

Thanks

Yes not really warm here for the next month, in any case I will cut not so much roots . I am thinking to use the longer central shot as a sacrifice branch and the small on the bottom as the future plant.

Young trees are pretty hardy, just don't cut off the normal 1/3 of the roots if you are worried. I would plant in a larger pot if you want it to thicken. I put 1/3 course lava rock in the bottom of my plastic pots, it helps the roots to not sit in water and does a little air pruning. I use #3 air pot in their 3rd year. Also repotting is a good time to untangle and arrange the roots radially.

Attachments

• 20220510_133743.jpg
    20220510_133743.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 20
I will not cut anything, just take out the old soil, that is 50% normal soil and 50% clay, and put my usual 30-30-30 AKA, pumice and Kiryu. I will also wire the trunk...

Ok, I made the repotting, i cut only two fat roots with a very small capillaries.
I would use the three lower branch as the developing branch, and use the central one like the sacrifice branch. There is something that I need to do in this period ? For example cut/pruning the lateral branch of the future sacrifice branch, in order to keep all the energy only in the sacrificial one and on the three bottom. Looking from the growing this plant should have 4 or 5 years....

Should I cut or not ? the lower looks weak and i don't want to lost them. Now the energy is all on the top branches, normal, but I want to keep only the central as a sacrifice

Back
Top Bottom