It was 64 degrees in February, so I did the unthinkable...

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A couple of years now I buy presieved and premixed substrates. I was happy with them: thought I could use them as advertised, straight from the bag. I won't go into details, but since two years now, I'm sieving my preserved mixes again..

cwilhelm

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Lol, so many different routes. I re-purpose my substrate. Which means that at repotting time I have a few 10 gallon containers on standby, where I dump the old substrate. Come nice spring/summer weather these get sun-baked. once dry, I sift and put in storage bins.
I've thought about doing this in the future to recover pumice and lava rock as it seems wasteful to just dump it out since they don't exactly break down. I'm curious though -- do you have components in your substrate that do degrade that you have to separate?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
do you have components in your substrate that do degrade that you have to separate?
Pine bark. But with sifting I loose the smallest stuff. And I always have a big bag of pinebark in the shed and I add "by gut feeling" when I start potting trees up (in fact: I dump a 12 gallon bag of the stuff in with the drying re-use, so the base mix is normally ready for use)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A couple of years now I buy presieved and premixed substrates. I was happy with them: thought I could use them as advertised, straight from the bag. I won't go into details, but since two years now, I'm sieving my preserved mixes again..
I always sieve presieved substrate. Imagine the fines if if hadn't been sieved already!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was under the impression that this was not necessary. Believe me that it was not for nothing that I changed my opinion.
It is diseaving a bit...presieved as a whole. But moving it about...they/substrate will cause friction in the bag...creating more fines. Sounds like you had a bad experience by not sieving. Sorry to hear that.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I get my bags from Bonsai Jack. No need to sieve it really, but I still do...mainly to separate particle sizes, which is also very uniform in their product.
I just ordered my first bag of Double Red Line Hard Akadama....hoping it makes it to my door looking like more than a bag of dust.
I plan to use an APL mix for my one and only JBP, which needs to get out of the Brussels greenhouse mix this year.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hey 2 more cold days in the night and we are in full business! I already repotted 2 JBPs and 1 trident maples. Going to dig up a pretty large JBP today. Sifted 3 bags of 14 liter akadama yesterday. Hope it's enough....

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ive never ever sifted soil😊

i just find that any dust particles run through the drainage holes after a few good waterings.
I do that as well, after a repot I water until the liquid coming out of the drain holes is clear.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My components come sized accurately. I just shake em around a fine sieve right before I use them. In the past I did it all ahead of time but I found that anything I didn’t use that season needed another shaking again next year anyway. Up side of a very small collection

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm sorry, English is not my native language. Is it wrong, grammatically? I always hate to make mistakes!
Your command of the English language is excellent! :) I was joking - not many native English speakers could write that sentence correctly :)

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
not for nothing.....

used this line for A LONG time.....I grew up in a deeply French-Canadian area as a youth....kinda' like, "throw me up the stairs the hammer".....

@Bonsai Nut did you end up in Mooresville? In-laws moved there last month. Look out for the tall drink of water w/salt&pepper 'do lurking about....

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Your command of the English language is excellent! :) I was joking - not many native English speakers could write that sentence correctly :)
The problem with us, not native English speakers, is that most of the language we learn comes from books. In my case, school as I took an English class (mostly grammar) every year from first to twelve grade , and then several more in college. When I moved to the States my English was very "correct", 28 year in the Army screw that up real good...

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@Bonsai Nut did you end up in Mooresville? In-laws moved there last month. Look out for the tall drink of water w/salt&pepper 'do lurking about....

I'm in Troutman. It's like the rural version of Mooresville :) Love it here. Two miles from 30 miles of mountain bike trails!

Top Bottom