My Dad was trained by Jim Smith - POT ID Help

cgcourson

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
New to the forum. Quick History. Grew up in Melbourne FL, my dad, J Gillis Courson (Gil) was trained in Vero by Jim Smith. They became good friends, I remember hanging out at Jim's nursery as a child while Jim and my Dad worked. He was also a photojournalist for the Florida Today and shot photos of Jim's Trees. Would be crazy if anyone on here remembered my dad who passed in 2017. Anyway, was going through some of his stuff and trying to ID some pots. My oldest is going to Florida Institute of Technology next year and going to have to figure out how to come up with the remaining 35K/year not covered in scholarships. Are any of these pots valuable? I figure ones with Japan Stickers and "Japan" on them no, LOL, I know that they will not be worth 35K but clearing what I can out of the house. Can anyone help ID?

Thanks
Chris Courson

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 3a.jpg
    3a.jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 3b.jpg
    3b.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 43

treefu

Seedling
Reaction score
1a.jpg is Marufuji Production Seto. Not worth an awful lot. Better to love it for what it is rather than what it might be.
2a.jpg is also production ware suiban. Same as above in terms of value.
2b.jpg is probably the same as 1a.
3a.jpg is probably Chinese earthenware in origin. I can't see enough of the mark to clearly identify it. Same as above.
3b.jpg the same mark rotated.

The sale of these pots are probably not going to make a noticeable dent in those tuition fees. Sorry.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The first and last pots in the picture series may be something worth investigating further. Check out some of the pot ID sites around the web for the chop mark. If you're on Facebook, check out the Bonsai pot Identification group. The two in the middle look to be mass produced. Neither had drain holes originally--one still doesn't, but the other has been drilled by a third part.

cgcourson

Seedling
Reaction score
1a.jpg is Marufuji Production Seto. Not worth an awful lot. Better to love it for what it is rather than what it might be.
3a.jpg is probably Chinese earthenware in origin. I can't see enough of the mark to clearly identify it. Same as above.

The sale of these pots are probably not going to make a noticeable dent in those tuition fees. Sorry.
LOL thanks! Thats exactly what I expected.

cgcourson

Seedling
Reaction score
The first and last pots in the picture series may be something worth investigating further. Check out some of the pot ID sites around the web for the chop mark. If you're on Facebook, check out the Bonsai pot Identification group. The two in the middle look to be mass produced. Neither had drain holes originally--one still doesn't, but the other has been drilled by a third part.
Thank you so much for the suggestions and link!

cgcourson

Seedling
Reaction score

I found the mark for the third one thanks to rockm it is a Kaiyou Tokoname, Thank you http://www.tokoname.or.jp/bonsai/maker-e.htm

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found the mark for the third one thanks to rockm it is a Kaiyou Tokoname, Thank you http://www.tokoname.or.jp/bonsai/maker-e.htm
That's the grey rectangle, right? It's not earthenware. It's high fired ceramic. And I had a feeling it was older kiln Japanese.

Things can get very complicated with Japanese potters' names--I'd urge you to get on the FB bonsai pot ID page for more detail. FWIW, Tokoname is the town where the kiln is located-one of seven historic Japanese kilns that fire bonsai pots. Kaiyou is the potter. That pot is likely 1970's or 1980's vintage. Not worth a fortune, but certainly not junk. i'd guess a couple hundred to the right buyer, but I'm not an expert.

cgcourson

Seedling
Reaction score
That's the grey rectangle, right? It's not earthenware. It's high fired ceramic. And I had a feeling it was older kiln Japanese.

Things can get very complicated with Japanese potters' names--I'd urge you to get on the FB bonsai pot ID page for more detail. FWIW, Tokoname is the town where the kiln is located-one of seven historic Japanese kilns that fire bonsai pots. Kaiyou is the potter. That pot is likely 1970's or 1980's vintage. Not worth a fortune, but certainly not junk. i'd guess a couple hundred to the right buyer, but I'm not an expert.
Yes the grey rectangle, I saw that facebook page so much to learn, thanks! I talked to my mom and she had she had tons more pots and some very old ones. We all use to do trees together as a kid (after seeing Karate Kid, lol) and she thought I may want get back into the art.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes the grey rectangle, I saw that facebook page so much to learn, thanks! I talked to my mom and she had she had tons more pots and some very old ones. We all use to do trees together as a kid (after seeing Karate Kid, lol) and she thought I may want get back into the art.
If your dad was working with Jim Smith, I'd bet there are some pretty nice pots in your mom's basement

Top Bottom