Hornbeam help

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have 2 hornbeams that I collected 3 1/2 months ago. They have put on a ton of new growth. I collected a couple last year that are good healthy growing trees but didn't even come close to putting out this much foliage. I know you should let them be the first summer but I think I might have a little imbalance in root/foliage quantity. There is nothing glaringly wrong with them, they just don't seam to be as healthy as they should. They are planted in 2/3 inorganic
(turface and oil dry) and 1/3 organic
(pine bark and peat). Would it be ok to trim back and do a little unwanted branch removal now? I'm located in so. Indiana. Thanks for the input.

Attachments

• 20220626_110700.jpg
    20220626_110700.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 37

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
They look healthy to me despite the poor media you have it in. No I wouldn’t trim since it’s first year collecting, just leave it and do branch selection next spring.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
They look healthy to me despite the poor media you have it in. No I wouldn’t trim since it’s first year collecting, just leave it and do branch selection next spring.
Thanks for the advice Shogun 610. What would you recommend for better soil composition? I appreciate the help.

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
These look good to me, as someone who has a lot of collected hornbeams. Don’t touch or prune them- as Shogun610 said, let them grow this year. I let mine go at least one year, two if they’re struggling, before I do any pruning or selection. You said they don’t look as healthy as they should- depending on how much root mass was left, I wouldn’t look healthy if I was collected a few months ago. Let them go, be patient, and you will have good material to work with next year!

shogun- is the 610 your area code? That’s mine.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks for the advice Shogun 610. What would you recommend for better soil composition? I appreciate the help.
Next spring I’d remove the peat , it breaks down and can prevent proper oxygenation of the roots. The media , you want water and oxygen , peat can inhibit that. Now for Hornbeams I’d use a 1:2 Pumice and Akadama ratio since Hornbeams do well with water retention. i never used turface but I never had I’ll affects with Pumice and Akadama, you can use Pine Bark for organic or anything , just not too keen on Peat Moss

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
These look good to me, as someone who has a lot of collected hornbeams. Don’t touch or prune them- as Shogun610 said, let them grow this year. I let mine go at least one year, two if they’re struggling, before I do any pruning or selection. You said they don’t look as healthy as they should- depending on how much root mass was left, I wouldn’t look healthy if I was collected a few months ago. Let them go, be patient, and you will have good material to work with next year!

shogun- is the 610 your area code? That’s mine.
Yep I am in the Lehigh valley

Top Bottom