Hornbeam help please

Al.

Seed
Reaction score
I’ve been reading these forums for a while this is my first post.
Last year I chopped this Hornbean down to about 13” Now I am having 2nd thoughts about it being too large. It’s 2 1/2 inches at the top with a wide base.
It has a lot of buds coming out.
Do you think I should leave it.
I have a couple others on the farm that are interesting and smaller that are budding.
Thank you. IMG_2764.jpegIMG_2769.jpegIMG_2766.jpeg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its a personal thing but I would go smaller.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Go for it. Carpinus trees that size have no trouble surviving collection, and the roots have a nice even spread. Err on the side of cutting the roots a bit too short, so you don't have to cut them back again a second time later in development. Also, be sure to completely bury the nebari when you pot it up. Hide that root flare until the tree gets established.

The only caveat is that you already chopped the tree. It appears you cut it in the fall? I always chop at the time of collection, so I have no idea how that will affect your tree's survival chances.

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you collect it and don’t want it, I know a guy in PA (me) that would gladly take it

Al.

Seed
Reaction score
Ok thank you for the information.
I will take it. And see what happens.
This is another interesting one I will collect.
Yes I did chop it in the fall. I will see if they survive. Im putting them in box’s with a turface, lava and bark mix.IMG_2772.jpeg

Al.

Seed
Reaction score
Go for it. Carpinus trees that size have no trouble surviving collection, and the roots have a nice even spread. Err on the side of cutting the roots a bit too short, so you don't have to cut them back again a second time later in development. Also, be sure to completely bury the nebari when you pot it up. Hide that root flare until the tree gets established.

The only caveat is that you already chopped the tree. It appears you cut it in the fall? I always chop at the time of collection, so I have no idea how that will affect your tree's survival chances.
Thank you.
I cover the root flare so it stays moist ?

Top Bottom