Help me , I have a Hornbeam Problem!😱

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I just got a newly collected hornbeam much like this one and this silhouette photo stood out to me. It feels like the first branch conflicts a lot with the direction of the trunk and the nebari. Any thoughts or plans to deal with that? maybe thread graft some low branches on the right side?

View attachment 527497
Nah, look at the first photo not that one you marked up.
I will be turning the tree to the left a bit and putting into a larger pot . and no , I will not be grafting a lower branch as I will be growing that out more , developing the top and thickening that lower branch… this tree is far from done developing, but I can be %10000000 that no lower branch will be grafted. You can see on the first picture of the front angle change the branch movement spirals out and matches trunks up the tree , and it also has a good counter clockwise rotation up the tree that’s a gift that I won’t mess up.

Last edited:

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I just got a newly collected hornbeam much like this one and this silhouette photo stood out to me. It feels like the first branch conflicts a lot with the direction of the trunk and the nebari. Any thoughts or plans to deal with that? maybe thread graft some low branches on the right side?

View attachment 527497
Additionally there is a small branch next ring up that will be grown out and can be also directed to the right to fill in more space at the new angle
IMG_5330.jpeg
IMG_5331.jpeg

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
IMG_5456.jpegSlightly bigger and deeper Nao pot , and turned a bit counter clockwise to allow the branch in the back fill in more space right side below upper branches..I also used electric chisel to carve more of the root flare to get better bifurcation and healing over. Some of the buds are showing green so I repotted a bit earlier than last year. The Hattori pot it was in man it was very root bound and had mat of roots. This will allow the tree to grow more and fill out . Very pleased with the progress

Top Bottom