Help please: Mealybugs in Airlayer rootballs - how to treat?

AC02

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just separated some shishigashira and shindeshojo airlayers today. Successfully rooted over a few months in sphagnum and surrounded by foil. Among many insects - ants, spiders etc - I found some root balls to be full of mealybugs.

Screenshot_20240415_201844_Gallery.jpg

Any advice on how to treat these? Will planting them kill them from being buried? Or is a root drench required?

Thanks everyone!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Mealy bugs love being under the soil almost as much as they like being above ground. Burying them is like tossing Brer Rabbit into a briar patch.
Systemic pesticide is the best treatment for below ground mealy bugs and should work just as well for recent layers as for established plants.

Many bonsai tasks are very seasonal. Without a location we can't tell if it is Spring or Autumn where you are and therefore what to advise. Adding a location to your profile will get much more useful advice to your questions.

AC02

Seedling
Reaction score
Mealy bugs love being under the soil almost as much as they like being above ground. Burying them is like tossing Brer Rabbit into a briar patch.
Systemic pesticide is the best treatment for below ground mealy bugs and should work just as well for recent layers as for established plants.

Many bonsai tasks are very seasonal. Without a location we can't tell if it is Spring or Autumn where you are and therefore what to advise. Adding a location to your profile will get much more useful advice to your questions.
Sorry I should update.

I'm in Melbourne, so same seasons as you shibui :)

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Are you sure they are mealy bugs? We also have a white root aphid that feeds on roots. Not that ID will make much difference as treatment is similar.

Going into winter. Not sure how effective systemic is while the trees are dormant. Might be OK if you can get some on ASAP while there's still some green leaves. You may need to repeat after leaves open next spring if the autumn treatment is not totally effective.
BTW, these have come from somewhere nearby. You should check other plants in the area and treat as necessary or they'll just keep recolonising.

Imacloprid is the usual go to but not sold at the green shed now. Trade names Bug Killa, Spectrum (larger packs, commercial for termites), Conguard, and others. You may be able to find something at independent nurseries or online.
Note: Imacloprid is systemic. It moves to all parts of the plant, including flowers and stays effective for several months. Any insect that bites the plant will die including bees on flowers. Has been implicated in colony collapse disorder where whole beehives die. Please do not use on flowering plants 3 months before and up to flowering.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Diatomaceous Earth (DE) has been a great remedy for me in my cactus collection, but please do research in these forums and your own due diligence before making any decisions. Good luck.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I suspect and have been told by a reliable source that those white spots on the trunk are also scale insects... trying wiping them off with your finger...if the move or come off they are definitely scale.

Top Bottom