Juggling commitments please help

What to do with protected trees

• Keep them in conservatory (for 1 day)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
So I am doing the bonsai shuffle with a few trees i have repotted in the last couple weeks and an acer palmatum which has started leafing out because we have night times around the freezing range

But tomorrow I have a very early start to make my way to a bonsai car boot sale and show (doncaster)

Which is likely to be better for my trees, full day sun but a couple hours freezing in the morning

A day in the conservatory which will likely get pretty hot and doesn't really have good light

Thank you for your time

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Ventilation for greenhouses or conservatories is a MAJOR cause of plant death. I know of several important orchid collections wiped out because of power failures on a hot day.

Is there a way to leave a door open or something that would improve the ventilation. Perhaps have a friend come over and put trees out before the conservatory heats up, but after air warms. How cold will be cold? If it is -3 C or warmer when you put the trees outside, temperate and subtropical species will likely be okay. True tropical species will not be okay. It all depends on what you are growing and just how cold it will be.

Similarly, just how hot will your conservatory get? Figure 45 C is the temp at which death sets in for trees in shade, perhaps 40 C for trees in direct sun. Anything over 40 C is potentially fatal if there is insufficient air movement and water.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
Ventilation for greenhouses or conservatories is a MAJOR cause of plant death. I know of several important orchid collections wiped out because of power failures on a hot day.

Is there a way to leave a door open or something that would improve the ventilation. Perhaps have a friend come over and put trees out before the conservatory heats up, but after air warms. How cold will be cold? If it is -3 C or warmer when you put the trees outside, temperate and subtropical species will likely be okay. True tropical species will not be okay. It all depends on what you are growing and just how cold it will be.

Similarly, just how hot will your conservatory get? Figure 45 C is the temp at which death sets in for trees in shade, perhaps 40 C for trees in direct sun. Anything over 40 C is potentially fatal if there is insufficient air movement and water.

The door is always open anyway because I have a dog,

I'm probably over thinking it, just its literally my better trees that have been repotted, a trident which I try to keep from freezing anyway, and a kishu, both recently repotted with a lot of root reduction.

It will not be even as cold as -3 outside, nor will inside the conservatory be near 40, probably more likely 25 at a push probably less

Top Bottom