Sick Portulacaria Afra help please

Mercy

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello all,

If anyone could please help my bonsai. I just inherited this beautiful Portulacaria Afra. My afra looks sick to me. I don't know anything yet except what I've looked up. My concerns are the stems look like they have dark spots. I have a lot leaves falling (which could be from the home change), I have a mealybug problem (been removing them with qtip and sprayed super soap 2x this week) (also i've put outside on 2 warm days and have on grow lite when to cool), I have white at the base, i have white on were it appears branches were pruned, I have hard white/yellow spots on leaves, and some shriveled leaves and stems. I have pictures added. If you could help I would appreciate it everyone.

Thanks

Attachments

• AFRA.jpg
    AFRA.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 20240413_204559.jpg
    20240413_204559.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20240413_204615.jpg
    20240413_204615.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 20240411_193021.jpg
    20240411_193021.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 20240413_201637.jpg
    20240413_201637.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20240410_121425.jpg
    20240410_121425.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 44

Weta

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've found rinsing off soap/neem quickly with water helps reduce leaf deformations/loss
Keep wounds dry as possible, even possibly cover them when spraying, also indoors air flow helps reduce mold on wounds.

Mercy

Seedling
Reaction score
I've found rinsing off soap/neem quickly with water helps reduce leaf deformations/loss
Keep wounds dry as possible, even possibly cover them when spraying, also indoors air flow helps reduce mold on wounds.
Are the wounds the pruned branches?

Weta

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yup, the first pic over all looks healthy, nice gloss and colour.
Watch the watering and don't use sun to dry off treatments.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't see anything in the pictures that looks alarming -- except the insect issue (mealybugs?) indicated by the white spots on the leaves, which is very mild and can be fixed easily. Portulacarias can get a little fussy when they change environments but typically settle down when things remain constant. You might be able to remove the parasites by hand but if that doesn't work, get a bottle of this stuff... BioAdvanced 3-In-1 Insect, Disease and Mite Control. Be sure to research how to care for portulacarias. They're not a difficult plant and lot's of fun, but you'll want to learn how about amount of light, temperatures, soil, how to water, fertilize, trim and repot. Best of luck!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are the wounds the pruned branches?
In the second pic, that little nub where the branches meet is where the middle branch was removed. I believe that's what you're asking. Basically, it's not a wound. Just a leftover node. If you're so inclined, you can actually pinch that little node out of there and in a few weeks you'll have a cleaner "Y" between the two branches. Over time it will go away on its own.

Mercy

Seedling
Reaction score
In the second pic, that little nub where the branches meet is where the middle branch was removed. I believe that's what you're asking. Basically, it's not a wound. Just a leftover node. If you're so inclined, you can actually pinch that little node out of there and in a few weeks you'll have a cleaner "Y" between the two branches. Over time it will go away on its own.
Thanks I've been hard stressing, I dont know how old the tree is but its got some years and I really want to keep it healthy.

Mercy

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast response, hopefully I can stop stressing now.

Mercy

Seedling
Reaction score
Yup, the first pic over all looks healthy, nice gloss and colour.
Watch the watering and don't use sun to dry off treatments.
Thanks very much for your fast response and tips.

Top Bottom