Good Indoor Tree for Beginner

If I'm reading this correctly, it's insane, mostly unsustainable and completely unnecessary 😁 .

Don't know how long you have been doing this, but it sounds exhausting not only for you, but the trees. Indoor lighting (front window, wherever) is up to 50 times less intense than direct sun outside, so ANY time inside is not as good as outside--even if the outside location is shaded.

The trees are not getting as much out of the deal as you think. They are having to reacclimate to their immediate environment every day. The way to provide "The most 'outside' they can receive" is TO LEAVE THEM OUTSIDE on the second floor patio 24/7 😁. The morning shade isn't going to affect them all that much.
I never said the shade will affect them. The sunlight and morning temperature are benefits the trees experience as opposed to not experiencing it. The outside they receive is the direct sunlight.

The window is open without a screen. You can make any argument you like, but the sunlight and temps they receive are producing the results they accomplish.
sometimes it's hard to separate plants thriving "because of" our care from "in spite of."
True, but they’re thriving due to the care.

I never said the shade will affect them. The sunlight and morning temperature are benefits the trees experience as opposed to not experiencing it. The outside they receive is the direct sunlight.

The window is open without a screen. You can make any argument you like, but the sunlight and temps they receive are producing the results they accomplish.

True, but they’re thriving due to the care.

🐎> 💧>👎>🤷‍♂️

If I'm reading this correctly, it's insane, mostly unsustainable and completely unnecessary 😁 .

Don't know how long you have been doing this, but it sounds exhausting not only for you, but the trees. Indoor lighting (front window, wherever) is up to 50 times less intense than direct sun outside, so ANY time inside is not as good as outside--even if the outside location is shaded.

The trees are not getting as much out of the deal as you think. They are having to reacclimate to their immediate environment every day. The way to provide "The most 'outside' they can receive" is TO LEAVE THEM OUTSIDE on the second floor patio 24/7 😁. The morning shade isn't going to affect them all that much.
Direct sun is what they receive without hindrance from 8-noon. The results are produced from what the tree experiences. Nothing changes that.

Since this just may play into this thread, I'll say lighting, or lack thereof.
The OP might do well with supplemental light.
I have 2 cats so my poor orchid sits on the back of a toilet under a skylight
rather than in a window. Not that the cats bother them, they haven't where they are.
I can keep African violets just fine though, lol.
Indoor bonsai, forget it. I'm not willing to do supplemental lighting.
Toilet yikes

Horse--water--no drink--whatever...
The “water” is the sunlight temps and oxygen they would not receive otherwise. Simply arguing a general guidelines in the face of beneficial circumstances is not going to override the trees’ health and results. Thank you…

The “water” is the sunlight temps and oxygen they would not receive otherwise. Simply arguing a general guidelines in the face of beneficial circumstances is not going to override the trees’ health and results. Thank you…
Trees don't really use oxygen, but I get the drift...

Do you have a balcony or something like that?
If so, you have far more options and you could try to grow trees outside.

Winter protection is not always necessary (depending on the species) and if needed it shouldn't cost that much.
I do have a balcony. Building upon what paradox said, the winters do get pretty harsh here sometimes well below 0F. Besides some cheap wire garden fence, how would I protect an outdoor tree against wind/cold temperatures?

I want to say in advance thank you all so much for your advice. I didn't expect so many people to answer, but is awesome to know the bonsai community is so friendly

Judging from your replies a Ficus or Schefferella would be my best bets for an indoor tree. I think I am going to go with the Schefflera as it reminds me of tropical areas more so than the Ficus. I'll probably end up with both sooner than later ;)

In regard to my lighting situation. I will post a picture of my current setup. I have SW and SE facing windows but none facing a direct cardinal direction, so I bought some grow lights to supplement plant lighting. Extra grow lights don't seem crazy expensive, so if they're needed, I'm willing to get more.

Not sure to make another thread or not but of course I make this post then my sister got me a Juniperus procumbens for my birthday that arrived yesterday. Will definitely need to get some winter protection for it

Here is a picture of the Juniper (can't get over how beautiful this bonsai is)
and a picture of my current light set up. Please don't crucify me over the two HD bought bonsai are, I know they are ugly and eye sores beyond belief lol. I am looking at buying a pot to repot the carmona and keeping the ginseng as is for however long I feel like keeping it. Here is a link to the type of grow lights that are hung there
image0.jpegimage1.jpeg

Here's a really great resource from this site:

What kind of light does your balcony get?

My opinion is that you can probably get away with cold hardy outdoor trees if you get some decent sun. With basic winter protection for USDA zone 4 or so like an insulated cold frame. Something like Larch, tsuga, native pines, or juniper may do ok on a balcony.

I think you may be limiting yourself by giving up on the outdoor.

Last edited:
Trees don't really use oxygen, but I get the drift...
This is not true. Oxygen is necessary for cellular respiration in the roots. Without oxygen, the roots cannot create energy from the glucose produced by photosynthesis.

That said, I have no idea what the message you were replying to was trying to say.

...,so I bought some grow lights to supplement plant lighting. Extra grow lights don't seem crazy expensive, so if they're needed, I'm willing to get more.
Based on this statement, it sounds like you bought some big box store grow lights or some "blurple" grow lights. What grow lights did you buy?

Those types of grow lights are not entirely helpful with providing useful light for the plant. I'm am not personally knowledgeable about growlights to provide much more information that that.

The growlights I bought for my indoor set-up cost $100 for a small one (big enough for couple of trees) and $200 for the ones that can cover my entire shelf in the grow tent that I built. They are bright enough to be uncomfortablely bright indoors and are painful to look at the diodes.

Viparspectra is the brand I buy and I know others recommend MarsHydro growlights.

What kind of light does your balcony get?

My opinion is that you can probably get away with cold hardy outdoor trees if you get some decent sun. With basic winter protection for USDA zone 4 or so like an insulated cold frame. Something like Larch, tsuga, native pines, or juniper may do ok on a balcony.

I think you may be limiting yourself by giving up on the outdoor.
My balcony gets sunlight a good amount of the day. Going to be getting a feel for how much sunlight outside get's tomorrow with a plant out there. I'll have to look into the insulated cold frame

I just got a juniper from my sister actually so looks like I'll be having an outdoor tree. I did buy ~10 nursery stock hinoki cypress and mugo pine at a local garden center but have not had any luck keeping them alive. I would love to have outdoor trees once I am in a more permanent location. Have looked into amur maple

Based on this statement, it sounds like you bought some big box store grow lights or some "blurple" grow lights. What grow lights did you buy?

Those types of grow lights are not entirely helpful with providing useful light for the plant. I'm am not personally knowledgeable about growlights to provide much more information that that.

The growlights I bought for my indoor set-up cost $100 for a small one (big enough for couple of trees) and $200 for the ones that can cover my entire shelf in the grow tent that I built. They are bright enough to be uncomfortablely bright indoors and are painful to look at the diodes.

Viparspectra is the brand I buy and I know others recommend MarsHydro growlights.
I have a post pending that shows the grow lights/setup I currently have. Your assumption is correct that they are some basic box store ones. Here is the link to the lights I currently have. I will look into the brands you recommend, I probably will need some of them

Here's a really great resource from this site:

Awesome I look forward to reading this resource. Thank you for sending this to me

Back
Top Bottom