Good Indoor Tree for Beginner

AmateurBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I am relatively new to Bonsai (have been learning about the art for a few months now) and looking to get a second tree to take care of

The first "bonsai" that I bought was from HD and was the dreaded ginseng ficus. Not much of a bonsai as according to here and other resources, but an interesting house plant to take care of none the less. As I thought I had wised up to the typical newbie mistakes, I pursued another bonsai, this time purchasing one from a local home and garden store. Here I bought what I thought was to be another ficus, instead turning out to be a Carmona (Fukien Tea) tree. While I enjoy my Carmona, this one tree is not enough to keep me intrigued in the art at the current moment, plus I am scared that I will kill it off and have nothing left come winter time

Thus here I am reaching out to the community in regards to opinions on which tree would be a good fit for me to grow indoors. I would love to grow outdoor trees, however with my current living situation I don't think winterizing the trees can be done safely without spending a lot of money as I live on the second floor of an apartment. Based on my research it looks like a Hawaiian Umbrella, Chinese Elm, or a Dwarf Jade would be good beginner indoor options, what do y'all think? Hoping to get a tree that can teach me the basics and that I can propagate in the future.

Welcome! Most all ficus can adjust to being inside if you at least have a sunny window and can easily be propagated. Chinese elm are not really indoor trees and will not do well inside ultimately. Your other choices would work as well. I would suggest checking Wigert's Bonsai for some tropical pre-bonsai. They are reasonably priced and very healthy trees. They are also great at responding if you are looking for something in particular, not shown on their website. You will get much better value than the pseudo bonsai you'll find at the big box stores.

To add to what Carol said, what you're looking for is a tropical tree. Non-tropical trees will almost certainly not survive indoors with a beginner's care. Ficus is likely the easiest and most readily available, but there are plenty of other genera, such as Schefflera, Jade, Brazilian Rain Tree and others. Wigerts is considered a good nursery that ships and specializes in tropicals, but I haven't personally purchased from them,

I am relatively new to Bonsai (have been learning about the art for a few months now) and looking to get a second tree to take care of

The first "bonsai" that I bought was from HD and was the dreaded ginseng ficus. Not much of a bonsai as according to here and other resources, but an interesting house plant to take care of none the less. As I thought I had wised up to the typical newbie mistakes, I pursued another bonsai, this time purchasing one from a local home and garden store. Here I bought what I thought was to be another ficus, instead turning out to be a Carmona (Fukien Tea) tree. While I enjoy my Carmona, this one tree is not enough to keep me intrigued in the art at the current moment, plus I am scared that I will kill it off and have nothing left come winter time

Thus here I am reaching out to the community in regards to opinions on which tree would be a good fit for me to grow indoors. I would love to grow outdoor trees, however with my current living situation I don't think winterizing the trees can be done safely without spending a lot of money as I live on the second floor of an apartment. Based on my research it looks like a Hawaiian Umbrella, Chinese Elm, or a Dwarf Jade would be good beginner indoor options, what do y'all think? Hoping to get a tree that can teach me the basics and that I can propagate in the future.
Like everyone said, trees should be outside.

While it’s true, I put my junipers in the front open window from 8-noon with no AC for early sunlight, heat, and photosynthesis. We have no front porch or access to sunlight from the first floor and someone could easily steal my trees lol Exceptions can be made as long as there is zero risk or hinderance to the tree. Good luck!

In general, you would be looking for shade tolerant (full-shade is a bonus) tropicals. Schefflera are the only ones I know off the top of my head to be shade loving. Ficus can be shade-tolerant but they will benefit greatly with sunlight.

Do keep in mind that a bright sunny window blocks enough sunlight to be considered full-shade to darker then full shade.

... however with my current living situation I don't think winterizing the trees can be done safely without spending a lot of money as I live on the second floor of an apartment.
Do you have a balcony or something like that?
If so, you have far more options and you could try to grow trees outside.

Winter protection is not always necessary (depending on the species) and if needed it shouldn't cost that much.

Do you have a balcony or something like that?
If so, you have far more options and you could try to grow trees outside.

Winter protection is not always necessary (depending on the species) and if needed it shouldn't cost that much.

This also depends on where you are. OP is in Wisconsin which can have so pretty severe winters so some protection will most likely be necessary

A decent ficus, or schefflera are your best bet (HD is NOT the place to get one of those). Wigerts is an excellent place to look. Look through here for their pre-bonsai stock. They have pre-bonsai ficus and schefflera for not a lot, like $25. For more advanced bonsai stock, they also have some good stuff, depending on how much you want to spend.

Both ficus and schefflear are very good beginner indoor trees and are forgiving with mistakes. DO NOT get a Chinese elm for indoors. It is not a great indoor candidate and typically winds up looking awful as it declines and dies.

Like everyone said, trees should be outside.

While it’s true, I put my junipers in the front open window from 8-noon with no AC for early sunlight, heat, and photosynthesis. We have no front porch or access to sunlight from the first floor and someone could easily steal my trees lol Exceptions can be made as long as there is zero risk or hinderance to the tree. Good luck!

How do you winter the junipers with no outdoor space in which to keep them?

I have a back patio that gets sun from noon until sunset. The house has no front patio as it is in a line of townhomes.

Do you move them around every day to get a full day of sunlight? Seems to me that sun from noon to sunset is as good as sun from sunrise till noon, at least for a juniper. I'd be more worried about afternoon sun for a beech, for example.

Do you move them around every day to get a full day of sunlight? Seems to me that sun from noon to sunset is as good as sun from sunrise till noon, at least for a juniper. I'd be more worried about afternoon sun for a beech, for example.
Trees are outside for 21 hours in 24 hours. The house has 3 total floors. Two of them (2nd and 3rd) contain front windows with immaculate sunlight and heat for roughly 4 hours in the morning. The back of the house features a basement-level patio with no use for bonsai. The 2nd floor features a back patio with full sun from noon until sunset.

From between 8 and 9 AM until noon, the trees are placed at a front open window on the 2nd floor with no AC in the house (ensuring the trees experience the Summer temperature), receiving full sun, heat, and oxygen. At noon the trees return outside to the patio to receive full light until sunset, then remain outside and the cycle repeats. The trees I have are three Juniper Procumbens, which are thriving at maximum capacity under these conditions. Since Junipers love outside, light, and heat (by virtue of their species' origins and capabilities) I provide the most they can receive, and the returns are manifold.

Last edited:
I can't even keep a phalaenopsis orchid alive indoors :(

Try it. I think you'll be surprised.
When outside for 23 hours, they receive what the outdoors provides. When inside for 3 hours at the front of the house (open window), they receive the same temperatures but with the addition of morning sunlight, causing them to experience sunlight from 8a-until sunset as opposed to only noon until sunset. My goal for doing this is to provide more sunlight rather than less, considering their species.

I can't even keep a phalaenopsis orchid alive indoors :(

Try it. I think you'll be surprised.
Greenhouses are considered indoors, technically, and orchids seem to stay alive and thrive inside of them at nurseries, Lowes', Home Depot, and other places. What do you think might be the reason yours are not staying alive?

Greenhouses are considered indoors, technically, and orchids seem to stay alive and thrive inside of them at nurseries, Lowes', Home Depot, and other places. What do you think might be the reason yours are not staying alive?
Since this just may play into this thread, I'll say lighting, or lack thereof.
The OP might do well with supplemental light.
I have 2 cats so my poor orchid sits on the back of a toilet under a skylight
rather than in a window. Not that the cats bother them, they haven't where they are.
I can keep African violets just fine though, lol.
Indoor bonsai, forget it. I'm not willing to do supplemental lighting.

Trees are outside for 21 hours in 24 hours. The house has 3 total floors. Two of them (2nd and 3rd) contain front windows with immaculate sunlight and heat for roughly 4 hours in the morning. The back of the house features a basement-level patio with no use for bonsai. The 2nd floor features a back patio with full sun from noon until sunset.

From between 8 and 9 AM until noon, the trees are placed at a front open window on the 2nd floor with no AC in the house (ensuring the trees experience the Summer temperature), receiving full sun, heat, and oxygen. At noon the trees return outside to the patio to receive full light until sunset, then remain outside and the cycle repeats. The trees I have are three Juniper Procumbens, which are thriving at maximum capacity under these conditions. Since Junipers love outside, light, and heat (by virtue of their species' origins and capabilities) I provide the most they can receive, and the returns are manifold.
If I'm reading this correctly, it's insane, mostly unsustainable and completely unnecessary 😁 .

Don't know how long you have been doing this, but it sounds exhausting not only for you, but the trees. Indoor lighting (front window, wherever) is up to 50 times less intense than direct sun outside, so ANY time inside is not as good as outside--even if the outside location is shaded.

The trees are not getting as much out of the deal as you think. They are having to reacclimate to their immediate environment every day. The way to provide "The most 'outside' they can receive" is TO LEAVE THEM OUTSIDE on the second floor patio 24/7 😁. The morning shade isn't going to affect them all that much.

Back
Top Bottom